WSM vs. BGE in windy conditions

G

Hello. I’ve been using a standard Weber grill for many years, mostly for steak and chicken. I want to get serious about smoking this year so I’d like to add a Smoker. However, where I live there’s always a breeze or gust blowing. So it’s extremely hard to control temps accurately for low and slow. Adding to this problem, I’m lazy and don’t want to baby sit the fire. Therefore, I need a lazy man’s solution for windy conditions. Based on my reading of this wonderful site (I’m Amazon Prime and will definitely start to order my purchases through this site), I may have two options:
1) Get a WSM and Guru and build a wife-acceptable wind screen/cart, or
2) Bite the bullet and get a Large Egg or equivalent. I would probably want/need a Guru with the Egg too I assume.

I know the WSM vs. BGE thing has been covered many times. It’s apples vs. oranges to me. However, I’m approaching it strictly from a windy conditions and lazy man point of view. Would a ceramic grill/smoker have better tolerance for windy conditions? Could I fire and forget?

Originally posted by t marr:
Hello. I’ve been using a standard Weber grill for many years, mostly for steak and chicken. I want to get serious about smoking this year so I’d like to add a Smoker. However, where I live there’s always a breeze or gust blowing. So it’s extremely hard to control temps accurately for low and slow. Adding to this problem, I’m lazy and don’t want to baby sit the fire. Therefore, I need a lazy man’s solution for windy conditions. Based on my reading of this wonderful site (I’m Amazon Prime and will definitely start to order my purchases through this site), I may have two options:
1) Get a WSM and Guru and build a wife-acceptable wind screen/cart, or
2) Bite the bullet and get a Large Egg or equivalent. I would probably want/need a Guru with the Egg too I assume.

I know the WSM vs. BGE thing has been covered many times. It’s apples vs. oranges to me. However, I’m approaching it strictly from a windy conditions and lazy man point of view. Would a ceramic grill/smoker have better tolerance for windy conditions? Could I fire and forget?

All grills and smokers are effected by wind, some less than others. 'Ceramic' cookers are far less drafty though and you would not really need a wind break or necessarily a Guru.

WSM's are a great smoker, not so much a grill and will be effected by wind far more than a ceramic.

A ceramic is more versatile (grill and smoker) and more airtight and would not require a wind break.

I was afraid of that. I really like the WSM though. Maybe I should think more about the level of effort to fabricate a wife-acceptable enclosure. Maybe a large metal trash can inside a nice wooden enclosure with a smoke stack. I could also store the charcoal and other stuff there as well. Hmmm.

I know you're talking about wind, but is money no object? With a WSM and a hundred bucks, you could have a unit that would handle the wind for less than $350. I wouldn't be set it and forget it, but it would be good. What's a large Egg cost? $800 - $1000?. If money were really no object, I'd get the Egg. For the money, the WSM is a great machine at a very good price.

Building A Metal Enclosure

That has worked out better than I could have hoped for me. My wife doesn't seem to mind it, but it is out back and still kind of hidden from neighbors.

It ran me probably $200 and 150 of that was the aluminum.

I had the WSM in it all winter and it worked great for cold storage.

I always cook inside of it, just this last weekend we had wind, probably 15-25 mph overnight, and rain, and the cooker had no problems running 235-250 dead even for 6.5 hours from 1AM to 7:30AM as I slept. I also was able to get 16-17 hours total burn time on one gigantic load of Kingsford briqs.

Todd

Since you are looking at ceramics, at least take a peek at a Primo. More cooking space. We have the Jr Primo and it is really fun to cook with. Eggs are great though and you really cant go wrong with either.

I live in Florida about 5 blocks from the beach. The wind really dosen't bother my cooking. If it is to bad I move the smoker but I can'r realy remember the last time. If money is no object get a ceramic, Backwoods, or Stumps. I still thinnk the WSM is the best bet for the money. You already have the grill... I have never used a guru don't think you really need it unless you just like gadgets and xtras. With the WSM you just set it and forget it. I do over night cooks all the time and it is always running steady the next morning.

If cost is no object I would recommend a Primo Oval XL. It is absolutely the most versatile grill/smoker available.

If $$ matters you can't go wrong with a WSM though it does not shine as a grill.

tt

It sounds like you'd like to stay with the WSM and I think if that's really what you want, the BGE or Primo wouldn't satisfy you.

I'm a BGE user and I love it, would highly recommend it but you have to get something YOU will enjoy using. Maybe building an enclosure will work for you just fine.

I have a Large which has, I believe an 18" dia grid and cost me $625. I live in the northeast and since purchasing it I cook outdoors 2 - 3 times a week, all year long. I can cook in any kind of weather. I've found I really enjoy going outside to grill/BBQ in the middle of winter!

The Egg is easy to use but it's different than what you're used to. So you may find that annoying. Many use a Guru but I don't see the need. Many also light it with a MAPP torch or weedburner-but again I don't see the need.

I also built a table to house my Egg ($200) and bought a fitted, vented cover ($70?)to protect the table. I have a friend who has his Egg sitting on the ground on patio blocks, so there's a wide range of possibilities.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It takes time to post these responses and I appreciate the effort.

Yesterday, I looked at both the Egg and WSM. The WSM is a little bigger than I expected, although that’s a good thing I suppose.

I’ve thought about the economics more and I can justify ether purchase. This is because we eat out a lot at $100 a pop. So it doesn’t take too long to “buy” a new grill with the savings. Also, when I consider the price per cook for meat, lump, and my time, and given the long life of these grills, the grill price per cook is not that much.

I see some folks have found Eggs in the low $600s. The cheapest price I’ve found locally is $699 with $50 towards accessory’s and a bag of Lump. That’s probably not a bad price for this area.

That's probably the same as what I paid, all things considered. If that price includes a "Nest", that's a REALY good price.

From what I've read here, it sounds like the WSM is a better smoker than the Egg, but the Egg is a more versatile cooker. So how you want to cook should also affect your decision.
I know a lot of Eggheads who say the Egg smokes with the best of 'em and I know lots of competitors and pros that choose to use Eggs. So it really comes down to personal preference. It would be good if you could see a Demo or attend an Eggfest before deciding.

I think you will be happy with either. I was in the same dilemma as you a little over a year ago. I did my research and concluded the the large BGE, while significantly more expensive, was more versatile and suited my needs better. It really is an all weather cooker.

I also want to mention that I manage to control temps, even on overnight cooks, without any gadgets.

I have had bad experience with ceramic cookers. They crack. After all they are basically a pot. If you get a ceramic pay close attention to the warranty. The one that I got had a life time warranty but you are responsible for the shipping. It's cool if you can just drop by the local store and presto but shipping can get expensive.

Back