WSM took a hit

Steven Hubbard

TVWBB Member
Not sure what forum to post this in . . .

Last Wednesday during a severe thunderstorm, my WSM blew across the patio, slammed into the house, and rolled out into the yard.

I was able to get the pieces back together, but one of the lower vents was damaged. The stop tabs are now flat against the vent. It still closes completely (although there is a small gap between the vent and the charcoal bowl). It only opens to about 80% though.

Anyone had these tabs bend like that before? I wanted to check here before I try to straighten them, because I fear they may break.

I use lump so I have an additional charcoal rack in the bowl. It shifted and flattened out my tabs. I just bent them back into shape and found mine surprisingly durable. Give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. You can always do the replacement if necessary. Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R D Dewey:
If I saw that happen to my WSM someone would have to talk me down off the roof... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dewwy, why would they have to talk you off? Sounds to me one way or another you'll get down on your own anyway.

icon_razz.gif

Actually, my kids were more upset than I was when this first happened. They wanted me to run outside during a lightning storm to rescue the WSM! I was tempted!

Anyway, I used needlenose pliers and bent the stop tabs back into place. That vent still seems a little loose -- might be a small gap between the damper and bowl that's letting in some air.

But, the WSM is up and running right now. My kid wants BBQ for his birthday, and it looks like we're going to pull that off!

Steven,
My heart was pounding, there was a lump in my throat, and my eyes were welling as I read your epic, cliff hanging saga of wind, lightning, and WSM!! What a story! And a happy ending to boot! I can't wait for the movie!
icon_smile.gif

I'm serious! I am so afraid this will happen to my twins that I keep thinking of effective and efficient ways to secure them to the tabple they sit on.

Both of my WSMs were used, and one had considerable bendage to the lower vents. The need to be replaced, but I bent the tabs for the time being and all is OK now.

Back