WSM St Louis Ribs Pre-Father's Day Cook

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
I did up 2 nice thick St Louis racks I got at Stater Brothers at 2.99/lb

Trimmed, rubbed with honey mustard, then my own rib rub that has a heat to sweet balance.

2 chunks each of hickory and pecan with a minion load in my 18.5 WSM, bowl in, but no water. Both racks fit on the top rack perfectly.

Target temp of 250F(dome thermometer) and a modified 3-2-1 cook based on previous cooks; 3.5hours smoke(2 sprays of plain water along the way), 30 minutes wrapped, 30 minutes of bark firming w/ a light slathering of bbq sauce.

Prepped
st-louis-prepped-6-20-20.jpg

Ready for slicing
st-louis-done-6-20-20.jpg

Very pleased with the results! Tender but with some tug, banging flavor to smoke to porky goodness.

Last edited:
That looks great! Nice job, and good eating. I cooked a rack of baby backs on Saturday, and had some leftovers for lunch today.

I did up 2 nice thick St Louis racks I got at Stater Brothers at 2.99/lb

Trimmed, rubbed with honey mustard, then my own rib rub that has a heat to sweet balance.

2 chunks each of hickory and pecan with a minion load in my 18.5 WSM, bowl in, but no water. Both racks fit on the top rack perfectly.

Target temp of 250F(dome thermometer) and a modified 3-2-1 cook based on previous cooks; 3.5hours smoke(2 sprays of plain water along the way), 30 minutes wrapped, 30 minutes of bark firming w/ a light slathering of bbq sauce.

Prepped
View attachment 7552

Ready for slicing
View attachment 7553

Very pleased with the results! Tender but with some tug, banging flavor to smoke to porky goodness.
Sounds like you have your method dialed! Which is Obviously the goal, find what works and repeat!! Look great!

Sounds like you have your method dialed! Which is Obviously the goal, find what works and repeat!! Look great!
Thanks.

I have a spreadsheet with tabs for every cook I've made on my WSM to keep record of just about everything for each cook.

One thing that is always a variable factor is the meat itself. So, when it's time to plan out the cook, I have a sit-down with the cut, look at it and ask it "talk to me". :giggle:

Then I can make any changes.

Back