WSM s'more cooker/outdoor fireplace?

Eric Koenig

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone used the base of the WSM as an outdoor firepit/fireplace? I'm worried that, like 55 gallon steel drums, the fire can get so hot that it will burn through the side of the bowl. Any thoughts?

I used the base of my Smokey Joe as a pit and had no problems. Left in the charcoal grate and didn't make a raging inferno and it was fine. My only regret is that I didn't have a Dutch oven there to make a cobbler.

We used the base of a WSM one night as a firepit while camping out at a BBQ contest.

Burned oak & birch logs in it all night and did not have a problem.

I normally use too much fuel so as a treat for the kids we make s'mores after I am done cooking. Except for taking some pretty basic precautions (like telling the kids that the metal and the fire are hot), I haven't had any issues with the bowl getting too hot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lance:
I normally use too much fuel so as a treat for the kids we make s'mores after I am done cooking. Except for taking some pretty basic precautions (like telling the kids that the metal and the fire are hot), I haven't had any issues with the bowl getting too hot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used my weber kettle in a similar fashion as Lance. In fact, I've built wood log fires in the weber just to have a small backyard fire to roast marshmallows or hot dogs on a stick. Don't recall now whether or not I had the bottom vents open - probably did.

I was camping on a very windy night. We couldn't build a fire but charcoal in the WSM was OK, so after it performed its dinner duties the WSM was the smore cooker. That stupid wind made the charcoal burn so hot the grate deformed. Other than that, it held up fine.

Back