WSM Smoke Weekend 16 and a dedication to my brother

Looks great, your smoker is on a roll! What was the total cook time? Looking to do pulled pork on my WSM 14 soon.

Also great call on Martin’s rolls, they are my go to for burgers, hot dogs, sausages, whatever! Will have to keep that in mind for pulled pork in future.

Looks great, your smoker is on a roll! What was the total cook time? Looking to do pulled pork on my WSM 14 soon.

Also great call on Martin’s rolls, they are my go to for burgers, hot dogs, sausages, whatever! Will have to keep that in mind for pulled pork in future.
This is my second pork shoulder on my little 14 WSM, first one cooked around 275 or higher the whole time and was done 9 hours on the dot, this one cruised lower at like 250 and it took 14 hours, and when I used to do them on my Brinkman at 225 they took around 20 hours. All the butts have been between 8 and 9 lbs, but this one seemed bigger even though it was the about the same weight. I can say I did not notice a different in tenderness or bark or smoke ring whether it was done higher or lower in temps. I really want to try a morning start (light coals at 4, pork on by 5 am) at a higher temp next time and see if I can get it done for dinner.

My recommendation for your first is to do an over nighter to give yourself plenty of time to get it done and not feel rushed, like many have said here it's done when it is done. Then if it is done early just triple wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler with a few towels mine was still almost to hot to pull 3 hours after it come of the WSM today. Below is the thread that I posted my first pork experience.

Like others have shared with me the pork shoulder is a pretty forgiving piece of meat so it is a great long cook to really learn on.

Busy weekend! Good food, Great family and memorable times... sounds like you're doing pretty good there, Michael Richards!

Day three is off to the races. Feeling a little more rushed today with doing a bunch of other stuff, it's the worst when real life interfere with BBQ. But the chicken is on the bottom rack and vegs (red pepper, onion, and tomato) are on top. Two small pieces of hickory to add smoke. No water pan and it is running hot today right around 400 so I will be watching it. To make it easier on me I'm going to put the Quesadillas together inside the house. Also made some homemade salsa earlier this morning, as everything is better with something to dip it in.
Chicken brined, rubbed with a homemade fajita based and then a fajita dry rub, vegs no brining just base and dry rub. 20200525_161807_HDR.jpg20200525_162322_HDR.jpg20200525_162408_HDR.jpg

Michael - I gotta say, although the food pictures make me super hungry and are some good looking eats, the pictures of you and your son together are truly the best. Yes, the BBQ is good, but family is way more important, and it looks like you're doing an excellent job of being Dad.

Thanks for the cool pics, and cheers!

Michael - I gotta say, although the food pictures make me super hungry and are some good looking eats, the pictures of you and your son together are truly the best. Yes, the BBQ is good, but family is way more important, and it looks like you're doing an excellent job of being Dad.

Thanks for the cool pics, and cheers!
Barret,
Thanks for the kind words, you got it, I hope my love for being a father comes through as much as my love for the Q!

Here are the last of the photos from a marathon of a 3 day weekend on the smoker for WSM Smoke Weekend 16! I'm whooped.
Here is my youngest daughter with me waiting to pull that meat. She is always by my side as I pull/slice/prep the meat. 20200525_184054.jpg
Here is the plate, the Quesadillas were soooo good. The brine, fajita paste, and dry rub together is the way to get the flavor into the meat for Mexican dishes. The smoke flavor was so good especially in the vegs. This will be repeated soon.
20200525_190311.jpg

Back