WSM short one nut - help....

Werner

TVWBB Member
Hi I bought a WSM 18.5" and tried to assemble it last night. Im short one nut...I emailed Weber but was thinking of making a trip to the hardware store. Does anyone know if there is anything special about the screws/nuts used on the WSM? Hardened stainless? Something heat resistant?

Also my heat shield keeps popping off. graham was kind enough to help me with this on a separate thread. I guess others have had a problem as well and maybe bending the tabs is the best solution. Or maybe leave it as is so I can clean it more easily?

Before I do bend the tabs, I am questioning whether I have it assembled correctly. It sits awfully close to the ground. I have the 18.5" and I know it is different than the 22". Most of the pics that Chris has shown shows the 22". Can anyone shed light on whether this does indeed sit pretty close to the ground on the 18.5"?

Thanks

Can't help you with the heat shield question, but I would take one of the Weber bolts you need a nut for and head down to a local hardware store and buy one. Beats waiting for Weber to send you one.
Folks will probably tell you that any nut will work, just stay away from galvanized.
I bought all of my WSMs used, and the first thing I did with all of them was to replace the stock nuts, bolts, and washers with stainless. Cost me about $4 per WSM, so no biggy.
Now go get that nut and get cookin'!!

Back