WSM saves the day

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
Been awhile since I posted. But had to share a story with the TVWB crowd.

Last saturday was our relay-for-life event. Our team hosts a rather large party, as we raise quite a lot of money, so its a way to celebrate. Of course Joey Mac BBQ is featured.

About 1:00a, I go to put the pork butts on my FE100. Starts up just fine, I rub the butts, go to put them in the cooker and am stumped because its cold inside. mmmm.

Long story short, after fighting rain and darkness for about an hour, decide its time for R2D2 to save the day. Uncover the WSM, fire it up w/ about 1/2 bag of charcoal, fill brinkman pan about 1/2 way w/ water, put the 4 butts on, cover it up, head to the grocery store at 2am to get more charcoal, return, load up charcoal ring go to bed.

She did great...cooked at a 275 temp solidly, butts finished on time, and everybody ate very well at the party. Only looked at it once or twice through the kitchen window as it was monsooning out for most of the morning.

As if the people here need to know, its a great cooker, even if I have the old 18" version with no mounted thermo, and a bent up door, and vents on the bottome that don't exactly work like new!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
As if the people here need to know, its a great cooker, even if I have the old 18" version with no mounted thermo, and a bent up door, and vents on the bottome that don't exactly work like new!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 18" wsm has crud running down the door, the lip is bent in 2 places, there's paint chipped off and the vents are as tight as a rusty nut. But, I love that damn thing so much I wouldn't trade it for anything.
It's not old... it's just showing character.

Back