WSM running at low temps

andrew_l

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi. Two days running I've tried to cook at a high temperature on my WSM. I was aiming for around 350° F but I had really hard work persuading it to get over around 280°. I was using a full chimney of briquettes the first day; second I used a full chimney of lump. Empty water pan, foiled, and vents wide open. but both times I had to light a second chimney full of burning charcoal to get it to ALMOST 350°.

Is this normal? I am sure it has run at higher temperatures last summer, but I just cannot work out what I'm doing wrong?
All advice will be much appreciated!

Andrew

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andrew_l:
Is this normal?
Andrew </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can't do more than starting with all lit coals. I'd say just start with more of them until you see the amount you need to get to 350* Try leaving the lid on, but at an angle that leaves an air space for more oxygen. Also, if you wait for the whole chimney of coals to be blazing, a good bit near the bottom will have lost a lot of fire power by the time you do dump them. Try dumping when about 80% of the coals are lit.

I have a similar issue. I prop the door open for a bit. The added air helps boost the temperature inside.

Remove the water pan. Simple.
I cooked chicken thighs this evening at 350-400F.
One full Weber chimney (and ambient air temp about 95 in central N.C.).

Removing the water pan turns the WSM into a roaster. I do kabobs, steaks and chicken on my sans water pan; use the water pan when slow cooking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Zlotnicki:
Remove the water pan. Simple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That won't fly on alot of cooks. Yes for short cooks leaving the pan out helps, but you don't want to leave the pan out for say a High Heat brisket or High Heat butts.
icon_wink.gif

My WSM has run cold from day one, you learn to adapt. I use lump, and never use water in the pan. When I'm wanting high temps, I start with a whole chimney of lit, and I just leave the lid hang off by about a 1/4" to increase the airflow. Takes about 20-30 min, and I'm up to 350º, no mods needed.
icon_wink.gif

OK, I'll try the chimney 80% lit, crack the door open a bit if needed - and stop sticking my thermometer, through the top vent - it is stuck in a cork and presumably reduces the air flow by 33%. I'll have to find another way of propping the therm in there!

Thanks for the replies - I'll give it another whirl this weekend. I was on the point of deciding to use my onetouch gold for high temp cooking and the WSM - well, rarely!!!

Thanks,

Andrew

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">crack the door open a bit if needed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you are doing the door thing, turn it upside down. If you prop the door open with the knob at the top (normal position), alot of your heat hits the bottom of the charcoal bowl and goes out the door instead of up. I prefer to leave the lid hang off a little bit, easier IMO.

I'm at work and can't do an edit. If you have a new WSM, not sure if you can turn the door upside down? Dunno, anybody know?

Yes, you can turn the 2009 18 WSM door upside down. I support the bottom of the (top of the upside down) door with a brush handle, so it doesn't fall out when upside down. I also have troubles getting to HH temps and have tried this technique to bring up temps.

That's what I do. I like it better than the lid askew thing, though either works.

I Minion all my HH cooks starting with 22-25 lit and still hit temps >350.

I'm perplexed....I have no problem getting temps to 400-450+...door ajar an inch or so, and putting the lid on askew...I found out the latter by accident one night...works great!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
I'm perplexed....I have no problem getting temps to 400-450+...door ajar an inch or so, and putting the lid on askew...I found out the latter by accident one night...works great! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No need to be perplexed, as each WSM does not run the same. Some run right, some cold, some hot. It just depends on how tight or loose your WSM is.
icon_wink.gif
Yeah I leave the lid hang ,and get up to 400º in 10-15 min, then put the lid back on right, and watch the temp slowly fall back down. YMMV

I do high temp often when using the WSM as a sort of UDS. IOW as a grill with the food grate hihger above the coals as would be possible with the Performer.

Just did that for a load of chicken a couple days ago.

When I do that (looking for max temps) I always start with the ring at least 1/2 to 2/3 full of fuel and dump on a full lit chimney on top.

Of course the pan is out when doing this, and I usually have the door propped open if needed, most time I don't need to.

It gets HOT! Never measured it, but feels like over 400 degrees hand testing. Chicken always comes out great and you don't have to worry so much about flare ups, which are easily controlled using the lid (door is closed).

I do the similar albeit modified method when doing high temp cooks. Sometimes pan in sometimes not, but always empty when going for high temp.

I have used the "slipped" lid and the upside down fire door methods to let more air in as required, sometimes both. I've been able to maintain temps at above 350 degrees that way.

Otherwise I'll use the BBQ Guru fan method which makes it simple/easy if I need to stay at 350 for long duration. Makes it simple.

Basically though if you start with full lit chimney, that should jack your temps up from the start pretty good, and with unlit in the ring should keep it high for you for a good while. Use a rake or some other tool to knock the ashes down a bit as required to keep things hot helps.

UDS?! IOW?! Heck - a whole new language!

I'll try these various tips and I'm sure I'll crack it.

Thanks, guys.

Andrew

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andrew_l:
UDS?! IOW?! Heck - a whole new language!

I'll try these various tips and I'm sure I'll crack it.

Thanks, guys.

Andrew </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL - getting lazy at the keyboard is all.

When I use the bullet as a grill as I describe above it reminds me of an Ugly Drum Smoker, not exactly but similar.

In other words (IOW)

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Well, yesterday I tried again - lit some charcoal in the WSM and added a full chimney of lit when it was all alight. No cork on the thermometer, door slightly ajar at first and the WSM ran at 350 easily - I even had to half close two of the vents in the base to stop it getting hotter.

So, many thanks - Andrew

Well I did two butts Saturday. One 7 one 6 or thereabouts. Loaded the ring just a little above the top. Didn't spend a lot of time stacking, but paid attention to eliminate gaps.

15 or so lite coals to minion the start.

Using the BBQ Guru.

Ran at 240 degrees consistent for 9 hours. When I left there was plenty of fire left. I'm sure it ran for at least 3 hours or so after I left, maybe more till it burned out. It's typically how I load it for a 12 hour cook. I go above the ring for longer ones. And in this case I probably could have used less lit, I keep erring to too much lit.

Back