WSM ribs today question

george winters

TVWBB Member
Good Day fellow BBQ'ers. Today im doing 4 racks ribs on WSM -- i just follow the minion method and cook them 4 - 5 hours at 225F. Or im goin to give it shot -- here is my question. i recently got 2 boxes of wood chunks. I have Cherry and Maple Sugar. . Also have some hicory chips that i bought at cdn trash last week that seem weak. How do i incorporate the right blend of Cherry / Maple sugar to make the perfect ribs? any suggestions on the wood chunks i do have is appreciated. thanks

Hi George,
Are you doing Spares or Baby Backs?
Water in the pan or no?

I cook Baby Backs only, and @ 275° with an empty, foiled water pan. They usually take about 4 hours.
If you're doing spares @ 225°, I bet they'll take longer than 4 - 5 hours.

No experience with Cherry/Maple, but I would try some of both, and a little less than normal.

Hey there George, as far as I know,there isn't any combination on mixing different woods because everyones taste is different so you'll just have to experiment a little to find what tastes best to you. Just think now how many times you get to fire up the cooker in your search for perfection. I would suggest staying with chunks instead of chips and would think the cherry wouldn't be as sweet as the sugar maple and neither are as strong as the hickory. Just guessing on the sweetness part. I use hickory all the time and have been looking for something not quite as strong and finally got some apple that I'm hoping to try soon .

I would'nt worry too much about the right combination of wood, there's too many variables to determine that. That and everyone likes something different, so what may be perfect for one may be fair for another. With that in mind I'd try four chunks of cherry, four chunks of maple and also hickory chips throughout the cook.

Back