WSM Replacement Vent Dampers-Anyone making them?

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
Is anyone aware of someone who might be fabricating replacement vent dampers for the WSM? The ones on my 18” WSM have pulled away from the vents and rather than replacing them with the same cheep ones that Weber makes I was hoping someone out there in metalworkingland might be making better ones. By better I mean thicker. I have gone to a machine shop and asked about having them made and was quoted a price higher than the cost of the WSM. I know the world is full of smart entrepreneurs who see an inferior product and decide to make a better one so I am hoping this is the case with the vent dampers.

Steve, haven't seen any after market stuff. I feel that the pliability of the Weber vent covers is good, what is bad is the fact that they are riveted on the cooker and can't really be bent when needed. The replacement Weber vent covers are attached with a screw or more accurately a slotted bolt and nut. I have bought them and they are pliable enough to reshape if necessary. That may be your best option, they are cheap and come in pkg of 3. I bought 3 thinking they were singles and ended up with 9 total. I have given some away but may have one or 2 left. Let me know if you want to try one.

Mark

Steve.
I may be mistaken, but I thought the same folks who make the SS replacement door are thinking of doing some SS replacement vents.
My son had a job running a CNC water jet last year. I asked and he said it would have been so easy to run off as many as I wanted on his free time.
But.. he lost his job from a layoff.

Tim

Tim, I believe the two Chris' who make the Cajun Bandit have considered it but nothing yet. That would have been sweet had you son been able to run some off.
Mark, yea I guess it would not be so bad if I get the Weber replacements and bolt them on. As you have pointed out, I can always remove them and reshape to conform to the curve of the smoker. thanks guys

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
I guess it would not be so bad if I get the Weber replacements and bolt them on. As you have pointed out, I can always remove them and reshape to conform to the curve of the smoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can drill out the rivets in your current vents (which you'll have to do anyway if you buy the replacement vents), reshape the vents, and re-install them with bolts. After 30+ years the rivets on my Weber kettle all had worn out or rusted, so I replaced them with bolts. It was a pretty easy fix, and I don't see why you couldn't do the same with a WSM if you need to make the vents fit better.

Weber replaced the vent covers on my 3-wheeler kettle for free. Even if you have to buy them, they're pretty cheap. I agree with Larry D. - drill out the rivets and try to reshape them first.

I had the same problem on mine. I probably could have straightened them out a little but they were getting harder to turn so I just went ahead and replaced them. Drilled out the originals and then replaced with these. I don't that he's actively selling any right now but I'm sure if you e-mail him he's got some more.

I believe that is the Weber replacement packet that can be ordered directly from Weber. I shall see soon as I have ordered some a week ago. Thanks all for your reply's.

Back