WSM parts and dishwasher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denny Kyser

Do any of your WSM parts make it to the dishwasher? On my olde Brinkman 3 part smoker I used to wash the waterpan in the Dishwasher on occasion to get it good and clean? I have to say I was leasing an appt at the time and single. Not using my personal dishwasher.

I remember reading a post of someone here who used to wash the entire smoker in his dishwasher. Obviously in pieces, when his girlfriend was not around. Ive actually tried this but it wont fit because the top rack doesnt come out of the washer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Babek:
I remember reading a post of someone here who used to wash the entire smoker in his dishwasher. Obviously in pieces, when his girlfriend was not around. Ive actually tried this but it wont fit because the top rack doesnt come out of the washer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That post was from a long time ago. Here it is.WSM in the dishwasher

Now c'mon guys ain't that just abit silly? Why in the heck would anyone wanna de-season their cooker??

Big Al

I have washed the whole thing in my dishwasher. Took 3 sessions. If you want to see what kind of job it will do, just wash the door. You will be amazed how clean it comes out.

Right. Well while I was on vacation in Mo. When I cooked my ham and turkey, I took some S.O.S pads to the grates and they worked very well. The funny thing is there was a dishwasher there, and I never thought of putting the grates in that. I guess I am just used to not having one here at home.

Big Al

I don't have a dishwasher, but if I did I reckon my wife would KILL me if she caught me trying to put a WSM in it. I might wash the grates in one, but the water pan is really easy to clean, and the rest of the cooker doesn't need washed so it don't get washed. Just the occasional wipe down to get any stuff that might flake off.

With my old brinkman I used to wash the water pan every once in a while, I have to say the pan is still in great shape except for a dent where I obviously dropped it on something. I have the grates in the dishwasher now, but waterpan will have to go in the next load.
icon_smile.gif

I too dont see why I would add the entire cooker, besides I believe that is where my wife would draw the line.

Just (re)watched Alton Brown eppisode on roasting a Standing Rib Roast... He stated that you get a much better transfer of heat with a clean oven. His illustration was tennis balls bouncing off the walls of a racket ball court. Heat gets to all side of your target (meat). Dirty oven, it did not.

Clean your WSMs.

This is also proven out by the TVWB website stating that a new WSM cooks upto 50* hotter. Looks like you would at least want it clean for higher temp cooks. Poultry, roasts, etc... And in the winter.

Clean your WSMs.

Hmmm yes well, I got my cooker well up over the 300 degree range on thanksgiving using the standard method. Dry foiled water pan. I have done about....ten cooks I would say so far.

Big Al

Remember this applies to both the inside and the outside - in theory the more polished the inside is the less radiant heat will be absorbed by the body, and hence more will be reflected back to the meat. The more polished the outside the less heat will be transferred from the body. This is only applies to the radiant heat - remember the hot air flowing around the meat and the fact that the water pan is there (partly) to block the radiant heat from getting to the meat.
However - remember the objective and this is (largely) a consistent temperature with a sensible airflow - I think Jim Minion discussed the airflow issue a while ago but I can't seem to find it - so as long as you are within the range you should be OK. That probably means if you want to use a clean WSM then do, but if you don't then don't. I think uniformity and consistency are the watchwords. If WSMs were all shiny stainless we'd probably be discussing polishing methods!
In my case - I wipe the outside and I wash the cooking grates (sometimes in the dishwasher), perhaps I'll give it a spring clean on leap years or something.

50ºF hotter means you can get your target temp by burning less fuel. With winter coming on if the radiant heat theory holds for a shiny outside as well, then there should be less heat loss. This means fuel savings is a reason to keep WSMs clean. Say it again Chris F.

Thanks Chris, I think you just gave me the final justification I need to get a pressure washer. Yes, my wife would have a complete meltdown if I stuck WSM in the dishwasher.

It's all Alton Brown. The wife thinks I watch him too much. Is that possible?
icon_rolleyes.gif

p.s. She better be getting me his new baking book for Christmas.

What a great way to get rid of the fishy smell after a fish smoke. I can remmember smelling salmon....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Finney:
This is also proven out by the TVWB website stating that a new WSM cooks up to 50* hotter. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Weber says a new cooker may run up to 50*F hotter when shiny and new on the inside, but I also mention that some people don't even notice this effect with their cookers. So your mileage may vary.

Temperature Control Troubleshooting

Regards,
Chris

Sorry for the slight mis-quote.
icon_redface.gif

But, if you practice fire management you probably wouldn't notice a temp difference (unless you were trying to see how hot you could get it
icon_eek.gif
). You would just not burn as much fuel.
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back