WSM Maiden Voyage

Sean H

TVWBB Pro
I'm using my WSM for the first time. I decided on spares -- since I've gotten OK at making them on the kettle, I figure it gives me a good apples-to-apples comparison.

I decided to use it as-designed on my first try. Then I'll start changing/improving things as I get the hang of it.

Here's a pic of the ribs after they were first put into the smoker. I'll be sure to update with the finished product.

5108194916_0be1d98948.jpg

The ribs turned out pretty darn good! Last time I made them was in my Weber kettle. It was a bit easier to maintain lower temps in the WSM. For some reason, at some point in cooking on a kettle, it is inevitable that temperatures will run away with you. Doesn't happen with the WSM.

Here they are at hour 5:

5110671956_5c269fd510.jpg

About an hour later, I took them off to rest:

5110672000_20d9bb7884.jpg

Here they are, plated with an extra sprinkle of dry rub and ready to eat:

5110071113_1caf20915b.jpg

Next time, I'm going to leave the water pan out of the equation. It would have been easy enough to maintain temperatures without it.

I never did used the water pan. Seems most eventually ditch it so I learned on an empty pan with a saucer. You may need a couple cooks to get some build up but if you catch temps on the way up it's easy.

Nate

Nathan-

Yeah, I'm with you -- I figured I'd give it a shot as-designed, so that I could have a baseline from which to work. I noticed that the biggest difficulty I had with the cooker is keeping temps UP, not down. If I'd wanted to cook at a higher temperature, like around 300, I'd have never gotten there with a water pan. Given how open I had to keep the vents with the water pan, I feel pretty confident that I can keep them in the right range without water.

Now its time for a Stoker. Temp control problems are eliminated, sit in the house on yer lap top and watch the entire cook!

Ribs look great.

I'm a bit hesitant to go for any automated control systems (for now). I've been in software development for over 13 years. As a result, I kinda like staying primitive with my BBQ methods -- makes for a bit of an escape for me.

You WSM people are so spoiled! On a backyard horizonal smoker on a long cook if the temps vary from 200F to 290F it's a good cook!

You WSM people are so spoiled! On a backyardvhorizonal smoker on a long cook if the temps vary from 200F to 290F it's a good cook!

You can say that again John! And again!
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean H:
I'm a bit hesitant to go for any automated control systems (for now). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm a bit hestate too to spend as much for any automated control system as I did for my WSM!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Freeman:
I understand, I use the Stoker for long cooks. When I do a 14 hour cook it's good to have a bit of automation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. I think once I graduate to the overnighter, I'll feel the need to invest in something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Ford:
You WSM people are so spoiled! On a backyardvhorizonal smoker on a long cook if the temps vary from 200F to 290F it's a good cook! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kinda like being spoiled.

It's interesting to hear the different opinions on automating the temp regulation. IMO, it boils down to A) personal preference on tinkering and B) willingness to allow your meat to cook within a range of temps.

IMO, once your WSM is "seasoned", if you will, and you get comfortable dialing in the temps on the way up on the front end, there's just no need for external stimulation (of the coals that is). The WSM is what it is BECAUSE of its ability to hold steady temps for long periods of time, given a proper start and setup of the coal bed and vents.

Plus, to me, tinkering with the vents throughout the day (not every 10 minutes, but occasionally) is part of the enjoyment of the process. And cooking within a range of 50-75 is perfectly fine for almost any cut of meat that's going to cook for an extended period on the WSM.

Don't feel like you HAVE to have an automated coal temp regulator to cook great meat, but if you WANT to, go for it. It comes down to preference.

I tend to feel the same way, that part of the fun is maintaining the temps on my own.

However, there's no way I'd feel good about an overnight cook without at least some kind of alarm. Nothing would be worse than waking up a few hours later to find that your brisket either turned into jerky or is still cold and raw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thad:
It's interesting to hear the different opinions on automating the temp regulation. IMO, it boils down to A) personal preference on tinkering and B) willingness to allow your meat to cook within a range of temps.

IMO, once your WSM is "seasoned", if you will, and you get comfortable dialing in the temps on the way up on the front end, there's just no need for external stimulation (of the coals that is). The WSM is what it is BECAUSE of its ability to hold steady temps for long periods of time, given a proper start and setup of the coal bed and vents.

Plus, to me, tinkering with the vents throughout the day (not every 10 minutes, but occasionally) is part of the enjoyment of the process. And cooking within a range of 50-75 is perfectly fine for almost any cut of meat that's going to cook for an extended period on the WSM.

Don't feel like you HAVE to have an automated coal temp regulator to cook great meat, but if you WANT to, go for it. It comes down to preference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well put, it does come down to preference. I guess I am a high tech type, I deal with highly automated cryogenic systems and technology is just in my blood. I do bait my own hook though!

Sean, I know it's a little unnerving to trust the WSM overnight if you've never done it but that's what the thing was built for (again under right conditions). My second smoke was an overnight pork butt smoke. I had no idea what I was doing but it came out great. It's really hard to completely screw up at these temps if you set it up right. Just trust it bro. You'll be fine. Have no fear. And who wants a meat alarm to wake them up at 4am anyway?
icon_smile.gif

Back