WSM Maiden Voyage

Mike, my buddy is the same way. He has a green egg and bought the stoker to go on it for long smokes. It's a preference and style thing. Not a right and wrong thing. I like a little of the adventure and uncertainty of the manual process but that can also be frustrating to others.

Sean,

I did my first overnighter a few weeks ago. Couldn't have been easier. Put 2 butts on around 10:00 p.m. and they were ready at 8 and 9 am respectively. I have a maverick remote thermeter, but I didn't get it to work properly. So what did I do? I got up every couple of hours and checked the wsm. I didn't even need to do that. It was rock solid at 250 all night long.

Cheers

Sean good choice on the spares,I really prefer them over baby backs. As for the automated temp control it's a personal choice. I have my wife convinced that my smoker requires a lot of monitoring during the cooks which also requires numerous beverages and tunes on the patio while the cook is happening. This system has gotten me out of trips to the grocery store and visits with my mother-in-law so I don't want to mess up a perfectly good system. If she ever reads this forum and finds out how easy it actually is to cook on these things I'm Screwed.

If u want to use a stoker its easier to go buy some cooked bbq, it's the same thing don't have to tend to neither.

Back