WSM legs on a 22” kettle bottom?

Nick-DaGoomba

Has anyone ever mounted legs from a WSM onto an extra kettle bottom they had? I have an extra bottom and was looking to make it into a fire pit. Received and idea from someone on the WKC boards to mount wsm legs onto it which I really like.

I’m new to modding and wondered if anyone tried this before. Thanks in advance for any tips.

I've never seen it done. It could probably be hacked together pretty easily, but to do it well would require some precise measurements and drilling of holes to get the three legs arranged at 1/3 intervals at exactly the same distance from the rim so it sits and looks perfectly level.

The price of legs might be the issue. I found a set online for over $60, not sure what Weber charges for them. You're looking for Weber Leg Kit #63023.

For less money, you might try using the existing bowl sockets and adapting a Weber kettle leg kit.

Are WSM legs made for high heat?
I've measured the bowl at over 700*F, so the points at which the legs connect probably reach the same temp. Legs are thick aluminum, which supposedly melts at over 1200*F. Should be OK but I'd try to keep fire centered on a charcoal grate to the extent possible.

I've never seen it done. It could probably be hacked together pretty easily, but to do it well would require some precise measurements and drilling of holes to get the three legs arranged at 1/3 intervals at exactly the same distance from the rim so it sits and looks perfectly level.

The price of legs might be the issue. I found a set online for over $60, not sure what Weber charges for them. You're looking for Weber Leg Kit #63023.

For less money, you might try using the existing bowl sockets and adapting a Weber kettle leg kit.
Ya I thought about modifying a Weber leg kit but I like the look of the wsm legs. I keep looking as well for other options and I decide on what I want to do with this. From another post I saw the old Weber fireplace used similar style type legs to the wsm. Wonder if those were different material or not. Thanks again

Somebody used to offer a short leg kit similar look as wsm LEGS.
Cajun bandit maybe?
There was a member Brian who did use something similar.

I have a pair of those Cajun Bandit legs on a pair of 22" kettles that I am planning to use in an outdoor kitchen. I purchased mine directly from CB about 5 years ago, they were no longer offered for sale on their website, but I emailed them & I was able to buy a pair.

Somebody used to offer a short leg kit similar look as wsm LEGS.
Cajun bandit maybe?
There was a member Brian who did use something similar.
Ha! I just found that post as well and emailed CB to see if they still sold the legs!! Thanks

I have a pair of those Cajun Bandit legs on a pair of 22" kettles that I am planning to use in an outdoor kitchen. I purchased mine directly from CB about 5 years ago, they were no longer offered for sale on their website, but I emailed them & I was able to buy a pair
Ya just did that about an hour ago since I couldn’t find them on website. Thanks for the tip!

Well got a response and it looks like those Cajun bandit legs aren’t available as they have been discontinued for about 8 years… shame they looked nice and I liked the clearance space.

Here are two threads where they used the standard kettle legs, but cut them off to create the fire pit height.

Back