WSM is too nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Provance

TVWBB Super Fan
First cook on WSM. Doing Minion. Started @ 0430. Have not had to adjust vents yet. All of them wide open. Went right up to lid temp of 220 and it is just staying there. I'm almost bored. This is not the way I am used to barbecueing!

This is my experience as well! WSM is very stable. I notice however that after a few hours my lid temp will creep up toward 275 to 300. I adjust the bottom vents to 1/2 open and temps drop back to about 250. I like the "Minion Method" best and use it for about all my cooks. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You are so right! It did start to go up after 2 1/2 hr. Closed the vent on the wind side to 50 and it went back down. Gonna mop and turn the butts and go take a nap. This is so nice!

Mike Provance wrote - <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Gonna mop and turn the butts and go take a nap. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We are a little eager beaver aren't we?

Mop?

Turn?

Shoot, I leave like they lay without the bath. The NAP sounds like a damn good idea tho.

Good thinking!

For a poker party I did two butts and a brisket on Friday night with the minion method. This method is SO good it ought to be in the Weber manual. I started the cook at 9:00 pm. At 12:30am threw a few extra coals on and went to bed. The next morning at 9:00 am the WSM was still cooking.

The butts and brisket were both fantastic and a big hit at the party. One of the guys came up to me to thank me for the meat. He has another smoker (a brand I won?t mention). He wanted to let me know how much he appreciated the smoked meat because he knew how hard it was to work a smoker. I just nodded my head.

I feel bad now because I didn?t tell him the WSM secret. Just ?Set it and forget it?.

I know Jim, but when they are patting you on the back, treating you like the ?Rock Star of Bar-B-Q? it?s hard to be humble. The WSM just sits there doing its work. I feel like Minni Vinni doing lip sync! (Taking all the credit for someone else?s work).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back