WSM Grilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Cook

TVWBB Fan
I grilled some pork chops the other day that turned out real good. While discussing the method Gary Wiviott of 2-Ton WSM fame a couple of interesting points came out.

I grilled on the top rack. I used sand in the water pan with it in its normal place covered with foil from my previous cook. I placed the charcoal grate on top of the cooking rack and then used the charcoal ring for the fire. I was cooking four 1 1/2 inch pork chops. I fired up the coals in the chimney, and dumped in the charcoal ring. I pulled the coals off to one side and put the top cooking rack on. Then I seared the 4 chops directly over the pile of coals till brown. After browning them I moved them over to the other side to finish cooking without the direct heat. I also placed the lid on the WSM.

I believe this method is good for grilling pork and chicken for a couple of reasons. Shiny side up foil can reflect heat up. By searing and then moving to a cooler section I can slow down the cooking process for those meats that need to reach higher temperature internally without over cooking the outside.

I also turned them a couple of times. I'm a firm believer that when meat juices begin coming out of the top that is the exact time to turn. Since juices flow away from the heat I am able to keep more moisture in them.

These chops were regular chops cut in a market. They were not prepackaged nor were they brined.
They were probably the best pork chops I have ever eaten. Seasoning was a commercial bbq run put on about 30 minutes before cooking. I think the rub was Smoking Triggers. I attribute the quality of the meal more to the method and the thickness of the meat than the seasoning.

I do beleive this method will work well for chicken. I don't know if I can try it tonight or not. I may have to wait a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back