WSM for Christmas!

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
As you all know, i have looked at a lot of options including electric, gas and less expensive charcoal. For my hunting camp, i went ahead and bought a electric brinkman. For the situation, that will really work out best in terms of convenience. However, for home, where i want to enjoy the art and fun of true smoking, I wanted the wsm, which will complement my weber gas and weber charcoal performer. I just found out that the WSM is coming as a christmas present. Not sure when i'll get it (hopefully early), but it's coming.
icon_cool.gif

All right Dave!!!! Santa must really like you. I just bought one for my daughter for Christmas. I keep eyeing it saying"you know I really could use a second one maybe I should get her something else"
icon_biggrin.gif

The only problem I can see that you'll probably have is being a little unhappy with the Brinkman when you use it at your camp. I have carried my WSM up to my camp a few times and done butts overnight - now I'm being constantly asked when I'm going to do it again !

Paul

Awesome Dave! I agree with Paul, having had an Electric Smoker before -- the WSM is night and day. Once you learn how the unit reacts to vent control and fuel/meat levels it is a snap, and you may just find yourself hauling it up to your camp
icon_smile.gif

Enjoy!

I'll be honest with you, I am looking forward to my WSM for christmas, but the electric brinkman has been awesome. I truly enjoy it. I plug it in and forget about it. I have monitored the temp a few times and depending on how much water is in it, the temp is between 230-280 degrees. I have made some terrific Q in it. So far, no complaints.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davidd:
I'll be honest with you, I am looking forward to my WSM for christmas, but the electric brinkman has been awesome. I truly enjoy it. I plug it in and forget about it. I have monitored the temp a few times and depending on how much water is in it, the temp is between 230-280 degrees. I have made some terrific Q in it. So far, no complaints. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then why waste a good Christmas wish on a wsm? If the Q is good, what else are you looking for? I had a 7 in one smoker (I used it as a gas smoker) before I got my wsm and it did pretty good. The reason I went with the wsm is just because I wanted to play with fire and charcoal. Something about pitmaster was running through my head. I also wanted a better smoke flavor. It's hard to get with gas - I don't know about electric.

Jerry, for the same reason you cited. the camp requires a set it and forget it scenario whereas at home, i enjoy the art of smoking, which you don't get from electric. In the end, i personally believe this is the biggest reason most of us prefer the WSM or other coal burning smoker. Gas and electric do not provide the same personal satisfaction that most people get from feeling like they contributed more to create the bar b que rather than putting it on the rack and plugging it in.

Back