WSM Duck?

John,
I do smoked duck on the WSM every year around Xmas. I use them for Smoked Duck and Andouille Gumbo that we amke as our traditional Xmas Eve meal. My method is"
I steam them for a while to degrease them. I use the fat for wonderful things.
After that I cut the leg quarters off for confit.
I soak the remaining carcass in a "flavor" brine for a while.
I then smoke them on the WSM at low temp until i get an internal in the breast of about 135-140. They are cooked enough to use at this point at least for some people!
I know this is sort of a confusing,haphazard post but I am on the road and can't get to my cooking logs. Only doing it once/year makes it hard to remember.
Save the innards,too. Duck liver pate is to die for.

Last fall, I picked up a frozen duck for eight bucks at a local grocer/butcher. I figured it would be worth tossing on the wsm. I think I cooked it with a chicken or turkey, so I probably did it somewhere around 250*-275* until my internal read 140*. I remember two things about it: the duck was really tough, and the rub/paste I used on it was worth trying again. I tried making a gin rub by using juniper berries and lemon zest and it tasted great. If you're interested I could dig around for my notes to see what the recipe was.

John,
I'm ambarrassed that I didn't check back when I got home!! Just rememebred to look at hte duck post. Send me an e-mail and let me know what info you would like. My address is at my profile.

Back