WSM door

Just wondering if its me or the WSM but looking at the expense of the WSM 22.5, its overall quality of metal and porcelin, why is the door so, so "cheap"? It doesn't even seal as it sort of flairs out on the upper corners when closed and latched. Is this normal?

ALso, and I know I'll look elsewhere for the answer but the use of the iGrill program and probes require me to make holes in the WSM? And those people making the tables on wheels for the WSM... impressive. Sure wish I had that type of talent. Does anyone know if the Weber table made for the Weber charcoal grill will fit the WSM?

David. the door may look cheap but it does the job. It will slowly build up a crust over time and seal it even more, but I don't think they were made to be airtight. I haven't used my 22.5 enough since I have had it for a complete seal yet but still, no complaints about the door. As far as the iGrill program, me personally , no bells or whistles just straight up smoking .

Thx Rick... I agree about the "just straight up smoking". I've always been that way with my other smokers and regular grill. There is enough information at all these sites and books that tell you its ready in 4 hours that we probably don't need an igrill or other temperature program. It just sounds like something else fun to play with while smoking. lol

Yes, the door is kinda "cheap" but it works. I replaced my doors with the Cajun Bandit doors and love it. All the doors need to be "massage" in a little
for better fit.

peter

I just got my WSM too. (22.5) I was VERY suprised at how "cheap" and ill-fitting the door was. I was afraid it would allow temps to spike out of control, but I made it thru a smoke of 4 slabs of ribs on Saturday with the temps right about where I needed it. The temps did spike a bit a couple times and I had to open the top to cool it down. I wondered if it was due to the door not fitting properly or the fact that coals might be catching on fire (I used the Minion method)...

I dont have the iGrill, as I bought the CyberQ Wifi. I have to say it worked like a charm. And it was very cool that I can control the temp from the iPad.

I thought about the Cajun Bandit door which is stainless vs. the included aluminum? door and wonder if there would be any performance changes with the Cajun door?

Hi Carl,

Really kind of like chroming an engine. Looks pretty, otherwise same HP. That said, I recently added a CB door to mine. Original was working just fine (after being 'molded' a slight bit). I just wanted that chrome engine...

Funny thing... the CB door leaks more than what it replaced. Guess some 'molding' is going to be needed on it.

My original equipment "Reynolds Wrap" door never even saw smoke. I swapped it out for a Cajun Bandit door. I'm sure the original door is fine, but the stainless steel door is a much improved visual piece. Performance wise, meh, not so much.

Back