WSM Cleaning 101

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
Well, I'm almost embarrassed to show these pictures, but I'm sure most WSM users have seen similar once or twice. I'm lazy, not into getting the grease and goop all over me and the place, so I go the easy 'self cleaning' method. Load it up with a bag of Match Light (Man does that stuff light fast and stink) and let it burn itself clean. In several hours, I'll brush off all the dust inside and it will be ready to cook on again with very little effort on the cleaning front!

This is what a WSM looks like after sitting all summer without being used, nice Science project huh?
IMG_3525.jpg
IMG_3520.jpg
IMG_3521.jpg
IMG_3522.jpg
IMG_3523.jpg
IMG_3524.jpg
IMG_3526.jpg
IMG_3527.jpg
IMG_3528.jpg
IMG_3529.jpg
IMG_3530.jpg
IMG_3532.jpg
IMG_3533.jpg

Oh she is in a poor state my friend.

Be sure to post some pics when you have brushed her of.

Will be interesting to se her back and ready for duty

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is what a WSM looks like after sitting all summer without being used, nice Science project huh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, did not understand this part? How is it possible? Turned vegetarian, Mr. Wolfe? :p

Looking forward to the result. I know I will have a long break with my WSM during the winter. At least one meter of snow and temperatures down to -4 -> -35 Fahrenheit, as well as it is nice to do other recipes than BBQ calls for some storage.

Have you considered turning in your WSM licence?
icon_smile.gif

icon_mad.gif
why do you let it go so far ? after a couple of cooks you can apply some cleaner, rinse and yer good to go. it hurts nothing to spray the insides including the grates with some pam to keep things clean and oiled and rust free. should be taken away from ya !

I noticed last week that the stuff on the inside of the lid was flaking. I scraped that, the inside of the middle section and the charcoal bowl with a putty knife. Stuff came off easily. Rinsed out with the old garden hose. One hour of light work and I'm good for at least another year. You, on the other hand, are disgusting.
icon_biggrin.gif

How hot were you able to get it with the match light?

I went and got myself a round pan to drop my grates in. I mix some degreaser, about 25%, with 75% water and toss them in there for a couple hours.

Works like magic and the grates come out looking shiny and new.

Photo #6 is what my water pan looked like after a few weeks when I forgot to empty it out after a butt cook.

This was when I had 2 WSM's back in VA and rarely used the second unless I was doing a mixed meat or large cook.

The smell was horrid, almost to puke stage. And my skin crawled when I got some on me when I dumped it.

This was also when I stopped using water.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geir Widar:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is what a WSM looks like after sitting all summer without being used, nice Science project huh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, did not understand this part? How is it possible? Turned vegetarian, Mr. Wolfe? :p

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Geir, I've been doing all grilling since I had a health scare back in December and what little smoking I have done since I've done on the Performer. But, I got the cholesterol results back yesterday and I'm down from 255 to 185, so my lovely wife happened to ask if I wanted brisket Sunday for the game. I said, 'Git'er Done'. So, the WSM MAY get a cook this year, or I may just decide to cook it on the Performer. I mainly used my WSM when I was catering or cooking alot. I got burnt out.......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
icon_mad.gif
why do you let it go so far ? after a couple of cooks you can apply some cleaner, rinse and yer good to go. it hurts nothing to spray the insides including the grates with some pam to keep things clean and oiled and rust free. should be taken away from ya ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

George, I'm lazy, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!! Even it it were 'clean', it would grow a little mold, but nothing like what I had.

I'll post finished pic's sometime today. The matchlight and little lump I put in there burned with the vents wide open all day. So I know she's nice and clean inside!!!

I had one that was starting to look like that - I took my weed burner to the insides and grates and got her real toasty and like Larry said, all the gunk powdered up and brushed off. We made up and I've made it a point to keep her mo-betta clean since then!

Pat

NeverEVER have I seen anything soo disgusting in my long life!
Don't bother cleaning it Larry, just box it up and send'er here.
I'll take care of that smut for you.
icon_biggrin.gif

Fire is what I use too. In fact Larry, don't feel bad. Mine out back is in the EXACT same shape as yours is. I am SOOOO lazy after a cook! This reminds me...

Evidently, if you look up the word lazy in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of Larry Wolfe.
icon_smile.gif

I've let mine get that bad before too unfortunately. But living in So Cal, it is soo dry, don't have to much issues with mold and such. Was pretty easy to clean with hose, brush, soap and ready to go.

Enjoy that Brisket ON THE WSM!!

Back