WSM - Chuck Roast

The Pot Roast looks good too. I think that it is time for Stogie to make a comeback and he can tell you what wood to use
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I've done that. I have done it without any wood and it is great. I did the smoked chuck roast, not the pot roast in the pan. I have also thrown some oak in with it. As Bob indicated, beef usually equals hicory or oak. For the pot roast in the pan, I think I'd start with no or very little smoke wood. Beef tends to get smokey pretty easy. Let us know.

I like that philosophy... if for no other reason than because all I can find around here is hickory. (in the stores that is...)

A question about chuck roast. so... when you do a chuck roast like is shown in that link, do you usually pull it like you do pulled pork? or slice it like you do brisket?

I pull mine apart. I have to gothrough it really well to get any "junk" out of it before my Wife and Daughter will eat it.
icon_wink.gif

I read through Stogie's post, and he makes a few good points. The difference between fruit woods may be hard to tell, but I can tell the difference between 'squite and hickory over a fruit wood. Even the Jack Daniels has a distinct flavor. (go figure lol) I like a lot of smoke flavor with beef and pork shoulder, so I go through a lot of 'squite and hickory. Ribs, I'll use either fruit or hardwood. Fruit wood for poultry or pork loin. (In general)

I've made this chuck roast a couple of times and it's very good. I pulled the meat apart and we had it with mashed potatoes and gravy just like a roast fixed in the oven. The leftovers we used for roast beef sandwichs.

I have to say though if you have an experience where you over-hickory a piece of meat, you know it. You need a little variation after a while. I do think that you notice it, but not all that much. You just really notice it when you have way too much.

Keep in mind that Stogie smokes stogies and that does effect taste buds. As a cigar smoker myself I know this to be true. If you do not smoke stogies you very well maybe able to tell the difference in the woods you use.

Jim

Well, I've had a 3# chuck roast cooking since 9:00 CDT, and covered it at 11:30.

Used 3 chunks of hickory, so we'll see about over flavor!

I used the Italian Seasonings (I hope he meant Zesty Italian Dressing!), Ranch Dressing, and Brown gravy.

Got Fingerling potatoes (mixture of 4 tiny varieties), carrots, onions and mushrooms to go with it. Will make some cornbread, too.

I figured I should sautee' the mushrooms before putting them in, to be sure they get done.
What do you guys think?

I think it sounds great! I hope he meant Zesty Italian also, but no big deal if it's not. Did you say mushrooms? I'm there!

The mushrooms won't take longer than the onions but I would saute them anyway--the flavor will be better. Heat just a little oil or butter in the pan. When hot but not smoking add your mushrooms and toss. Resist the temptation to add more fat--it'll look like too little. Add a pinch of salt. Saute till the mushrooms have given up their moisture and the moisture has evaporated and the mushrooms start browning nicely. Add those to your dish.

Whoah, Kev! Thanks for the mushroom tip.
As simple as it sounds, it made the mushrooms taste great!!
I used a little EVOO, and some Morton Kosher Salt.

You should have seen the load of veggies I loaded on top of that roast! Rounded up just over the top of the pan.

I can't think of any reason that's too many veggies...? They should steam for a couple of hours, shrink some, get tender...yum!

I have 1 vent just barely cracked, and ol' Jessica has been holding steady at 250* since 9:30!

BTW, y'all may be 100 miles ahead of me on this, but I would regret it if I didn't mention it for somebody who hasn't thought about it...
I'm making cornbread from a package tonight, and instead of putting oil or grease in the skillet to heat it up, I'm using bacon!
It cooks while the skillet is heating, and you get cracklin' cornbread...automatically!!

OK, here's the report:

Cornbread was excellent, but I burnt the bacon a little while heating the skillet. Watch the bacon, and don't let it get too crisp!

Veggies were great! The carrots weren't near done (I used BIG, MAN-SIZE chunks of carrots and other veggies), so we boiled them while we ate the rest. Thanks again to Kevin Kruger for the tip on how to saute' mushrooms.

The roast was awesome!!! Fall-apart tender, great flavor, even had a little smoke ring. And the smoke flavor was just right!

This made a great meal, I'd do it again any time!

I think this sounds great Charles, add one more to my list of things to try .... thanks for the report.

Back