Beer butt chickens on my 22.5" WSM.

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Good advice because the lid did in fact fall off my balcony that night and wrecked the lid. Next day i ordered a new lid replacement from weber for $79 and had it two days later. I have learned my lesson.
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Howard Barlow:
Tasty looking birds, but you are scaring the c-rap out of me by placing that dome on the rail. Stop it, I tell ya. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the same thing about the lid. I think I about wet myself
icon_eek.gif

Good lookin birds though. Bet they tasted great
icon_biggrin.gif

Weldon

Nice cook. $20/lb chicken tastes good, doesn't it?
icon_biggrin.gif

Glad they turned out well. I think I have the same beer can racks. Did you get them at Lowes?

Was the skin crispy? If so, what did you do? I butterfly chickens because of the skin but would prefer the can to get more on there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Graham:
I butterfly chickens because of the skin but would prefer the can to get more on there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John, To get crispy skin on chicken, you just have to cook them hotter in the WSM. 400º-450º is best for crispy skin on chicken IMO. Go water less or panless, to help get the temps up. You can leave the lid hang off by about a 1/4" till you reach your target temp. Also putting oil or butter on the skin helps a great deal for that Oh so good crispy chicken skin.
icon_wink.gif
HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did buy the chicken racks at Lowes and at $3.50 each they can't be beat! Big Grin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got the same ones at HD, but I recall them being cheaper than that. I bought 6 and just tacked the cost on to the tab for a friends party we were cooking for.
icon_wink.gif

They sure make it easy to get 6 roasters in an 18" wsm. I had 3 birds, all breasts facing in, on each grate. Next time I'll know to rotate them more, since the breasts cooked way slower.

I don't bother with the can though.

btw, great looking chicken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Also putting oil or butter on the skin helps a great deal for that Oh so good crispy chicken skin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin schooled me a bit on skin. It has a lot of water and fat in it. Low temps for a long time with slowly drive off both the fat and the water resulting in leather. Higher temps will slowly drive off the fat, but the skin will be rubbery (too much water left). Even higher temps will fry the fat, boil off the water and crisp the skin. Adding other fats (oil, butter, etc) should help this process as long as your temps are high enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Good advice because the lid did in fact fall off my balcony that night and wrecked the lid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just be glad it did not fall on anyone or theeir automobile - that would be a disaster.

Ray

Ray, There is a downward sloping hill covered with Blackberry bushes below my balcony. When I went down to retrieve the lid I slipped and got shredded by the razor sharp thorns (I was wearing shorts.)

Toby, thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">got shredded by the razor sharp thorns </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OUCH!!

Back