WSM as a stick burner today

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Well, having some friends over tonight for beer and Q. Kinda low on charcoal, but I have about a cord of seasoned alder. I figured, even if people don't recommend it I at least have to try. So I've got about 5 logs burning down in my outdoor fireplace and am going to try it. I figure I better keep the fire going (outside the wsm) to be able to keep adding coals...I'm counting on not being able to get it up to temp. Am not going to use the water pan either. Spares will be rubbed down in about an hour...wish me luck.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hey Phil - very interested in how you make out. I have a good bit of cherry precut into sticks that I would like to use in the WSM. I have had these for awhile and used them in the SFB CGPro. Challenge would be getting it down to coals first. Fireplace came to mind. Interested in how you transfer coals safely from one to the other. I would think by transferring coals temp wouldn't be an issue. Also interested in how you feed the coals into the WSM itself. Through the side door or through the top?? Good luck!

Ray

Going well so far. One problem: I usually burn cedar in my outdoor fireplace, and it because it's a softwood burns much faster (and cooler) than alder. After burning it for about 1 hour, I thought hmm, I'm doing this wrong. So, I took the burning logs (about 1 foot long x 6 inches in diameter of split wood) out of the fireplace and put 3 of them into the WSM in the charcoal ring. I kept the mid section off and let them burn down more there. I had about 7 logs burning in the fireplace, and I figure that some would burn to ash before others were "ready", so that's why I did it. About 30 mins ago put the mid section on and the ribs in (no water pan). Temp was about 375, and I was shooting for 260. Put the brinkman pan in and filled it with about 3 cups of water and opened the vents back up (to let the wood burn more cleanly). Temp is about 275 (lid) and holding pretty well. What it will be in an hour is anybody's guess. I put the rest of the logs out (buried them in sand so that I can use them again) because I had to make a trip to the store for beer... so I hope I won't need them.

Well, one thing I've found after a couple of hours is that when you burn wood it seems to respond much faster to vent changes than charcoal does. After about 2 hours on, the temp was down to 215...vents were already open...so I took the water pan out and emptied the water, then put the water pan back in dry. Temp is about 260 now and holding o.k., but I just put the pan in about 15 minutes ago. I'm going to foil from 3-4, then take them out of the foil and cook until they are done (which for me is near to, but not falling off the bone). Normally I would cook them a bit less, but this is a real heavy rack and I think the extra time will probably be needed.

Well, and this is the first time I've said this...the ribs were not very good. I figure that they were either 1. Way oversmoked, or 2. Too much Alder can make for a weird, sweet taste. IMO, the problem came because the logs weren't able to burn cleanly enough...and produced a lot of smoke even though I had all the bottom vents open. The thing is, If you let the logs burn down to ash covered coals and then put them in, you won't have much fuel left for a long cook and will have to keep adding. On the other hand, if you don't let them burn down completely (as I didn't) then when you assemble the wsm there isn't enough air for the logs to burn cleanly and they smoke too much. There were times throughout the cook when the logs were burning well in the wsm (i.e. no smoke coming out the top) but that was rare. Most of the time there was visible smoke coming out. Creosote? Maybe. All I know is that the ribs didn't taste very good. Not that my buddies didn't scarf them down like starved dogs, but to me (and I'm sure to people here, who know what good bbq should taste like) they were *way* oversmoked.
One other thing...unless one has a really big backyard or you live in the country, be careful with the fire! When you have 6 or 7 logs of hardwood burning simultaneously it can get *hot.* Further, in my backyard there is a redwood tree that is probably 75 feet tall and 5 feet in diameter, and the sparks from the fire were being blown into its branches. It wouldn't catch at this time of year, but I was starting to get a bit worried (another reason I put a few of the logs out with sand).

Back