WSM and Wood Decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Hartnell

TVWBB Member
Greetings-

Was wondering if the WSM can be placed on a wood deck without the heat from the legs causing damage to the deck?

I've heard about using a metal drip pan to avoid drips and such, but was concerned about heat conductivity in the legs. I am assuming given the length of the legs that it shouldn't be an issue, but since I used to cook with the smoker on a concrete patio, I want to make sure it will be OK on my wood deck.

Thanks!

The legs, being aluminum, dissipate heat well enough that contact with the deck shouldn't be an issue. However, grease seeping from the bottom vents sometimes occurs, and you would want to protect your deck from that. Additionally, there is a remote chance that a small piece of burning charcoal could escape thru a vent hole. The metal pan, or a 24x24" concrete pad would work well. To be ultimately safe, perhaps the concrete pad just off of the deck would be the better arrangement.

I use my WSM on a wooden deck and noticed that the legs do not seem to get too hot, but the heat from the bottom of the bowl can cause some issues.
This mainly seems to be a problem on my current deck which has a water sealer on it. I noticed the heat seemed to start turning the sealer a dark brown under the unit. This is when I made a quick foil platter and placed it under the smoker and added a bit of water to dissipate heat. I noticed Home Depot had a think pad meant to go under a grill that was made with some kind of concrete composite or something. Might check that out some more and/or make a little stand from bricks to put the smoker on to act as a radiator. My previous deck was not sealed and I never had any problems other than the wood below getting warm. To prevent this now and again I'd toss some water on the wood below and as long as it was not evaporating too fast I assumed there could be no heat damage.Of course, do make sure you have a fire extinuguisher handy, just in case /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jamie

You might also consider a 2'x2' patio block underneath, or Home Depot or Lowe's sells hot water heater pans, they are round and enclosed and the WSM fits right into it.

Pep Boys has a steel pan designed to go under a car to catch oil drips that works great ($9.95)
It is large enough to to set the cover next to the base.
Good luck.

during my first cook with the WSM I wondered the same thing and tested the temp of my wood deck with my bare toes...it was damn hot, I was suprised I didn't get blisters...so I use a round galvinized steel splash pan that came with a turkey deepfry kit...it's just the right size to fit the three legs on, and I use 3 ceramic tiles under the pan to raise it up off the deck...the pan has a bit of a lip so I fill it with about 1/8" of water just to keep things cool

The rectangular drip pan at auto parts stores is a must since it sits under the WSM and has enough room for the lid also.

Where did you get that pan. I went to the place I get my auto parts (a great local place) and they said they would have to order. Generally, I don't like to order. I'm a spur of the moment guy and I was there buying a part and thought I'd ask.

I would check your Home Depot. The conrete laced pad I saw was large enough to fit WSM and lid and seems to be fireproof. AND they had them in stock /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jamie

Not my idea, but someone noted that Home Depot and many other stores carry a round metal pan for use with a hot water heater ( suppose to place underneath to prevent water leaks, I think). About 36" in diameter and they have larger sizes also.
Works great

WILL

The problem with using a metal pan on your wooden desk is that water could be trapped under the pan causing the wood to rot.

I bought a grill pad from Home Depot that is designed for use on a wooden deck (I think it was around $25.00 a couple years ago). It is some kind of "breathable" material that doesn't trap water under the pad. I then put a couple patio brick on the pad to support the WSM and stop the heat from getting to the wood.

Works for me!

I use the top from a 55 gal. drum. I don't have a wood deck so I'm not concerned about water seeping under and rotting the wood. But if that is a concern, when you're done with the cook just pick the drip pan up and store it on edge. I do that with the drum lid for space saving reasons.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back