WSM and BGE Owners

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
I have had my WSM for about 5 years and I love the thing. I recently had to opportunity to purchase a BGE for a great deal. For those of you that own both, do you use them for different functions or do you find yourself favoring one over the other?

You know, the nice thing about this forum is that I am sure there are several people that have both of them, and they aren't going to bash either cooker. The egg forum tends to have people (not all, but some) that are crazy excited about their eggs, and they don't believe that anything else compares. I bought a WSM first, and I had it as my only smoker for 9 months. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and got addicted to BBQ like everyone else around here. I bought my Large BGE from the local classifieds a year ago (never used, but no warranty as I wasn't the original owner), and that got me hooked on eggs. Its a fuel miser, cranks up to incredible heat for searing and pizza, and does some serious low and slow too. How does the food compare? Honestly it's the cook, not the cooker (to borrow the famous cliche). But, the egg is the cooker in the winter, and when its windy. It simply does not care what is happening outside the cooker walls. I am embarrassed to admit that my WSM has been at my parents house since I did the Christmas prime rib on it for the family.

So really, they are different cookers, but many of the same results are achieved. My comments may have cast a negative light on the WSM, but that isn't the case. I love its portability, and the bang for the buck is unmatched by anything else. Eggs are heavy, and crazy expensive. I bought a small egg to overcome the portability issue, but honestly, it sits right next to the large in my backyard and never goes anywhere. Kettles and the WSM handle that duty, and they handle it well.

To give you a gauge of use, here is my usage for the last few days that I can remember:

Saturday: ribs on LBGE
Sunday: grilled pineapple on Performer
Monday: nada, went to neighbors for dinner
Tuesday: chicken breasts on SBGE
Wednesday: Corn on the cob on the performer
Thursday: steak on SBGE
Friday: BS chicken breasts, quesadillas, grilled pineapple. All on SBGE.
Tomorrow: Ribs on performer/SBGE (cant decide which yet)

Yeah, I had to kick off the grilling season big this week. The pineapple keeps the wife/family liking grilled stuff, so I throw that in there. Anyway, I am split on the use really, they all have their place and strengths. I honestly could talk/type about this for hours, so I will let someone else chime in. Good luck on your decision, you will love the egg if you get one. If you don't, your food will not suffer, it will still be great. But get it anyway, its a fun toy.
icon_cool.gif

I bought a Big Steel Keg going on 3 months ago. I haven't used my WSM since, sold my performer, and the gas grill is sitting in the garage awaiting it's fate (to the dump or pressed back into service for a new owner).

The BSK like the BGE is amazingly fuel efficient, and weather resistant. The CI grate is wonderful for grilling.

The WSM is in the shed, couldn't bear to part with it (yet). I imagine I'll still use it on occasion for capacity or cold smoking.

I don't have the BGE (I did look at them when I got my ceramic) but do have another ceramic cooker and as you can see from my signature line a couple of Webers too
icon_wink.gif
I do admit that my ceramic seems to get the majority of the action. I use my WSM a couple times a year when I'm doing big cooks, around the holidays or in inclement weather.

I love my WSM and would never consider parting with her, but, she doesn't see the love that my ceramic does.

I love BGEs! I bought my WSM for $100 from a guy who bought a BGE and didn't use it (the WSM) anymore. We're both happy.

Much like John above I love my WSM as it is just so easy and this forum is great too - it's what convinced me to splash out on a WSM, they're pretty pricey here.
Well I got a ceramic coooker and that was a whole new learning thing.
I predominantly use the Egg or the kettle (Performer) if I want grill space.
I've been doing slow cooks on the egg lately but I always feel a little uncertain. I always found the WSM very predictable - though I had excellent instruction from here.
I almost gave the WSM to my brother in law as a good home but he has decided to build something, probably a parilla like my cousin's, and I'm glad I still have it.
I'm planning a move and I guess that will be the deciding point.
Bottom line - I'd recommend the WSM to anyone interested, I would also recommend the Egg / ceramic but only if I thought they were happy to spend the money. The WSM certainly seems worth the premium over other metal units.
On the desert island - I'd go for the egg.

I had a Grill Dome which I loved until it cracked. I ended up getting a WSM and fell in love with it. I have put out better Q with it than the ceramic by far and it will never crack. The only thing that the ceramic has over the WSM is its versatility to be able to cook at high temps and low temps. My friend has just recently purchased a Big Steel Keg and I'm impressed with it. I think the ultimate bbq set up would be a WSM and a Keg.

I am not a fan of the keg personally. Mainly because of the grate size. I wouldn't want to spend that much money for an 18 inch grill. I do low and slow, cold smoke, grill, bake and even steam with my 22 WSM.

The eggs look to be great cookers But IF I was going to spend anymore money that what a 22 WSM costs I would most likely spend a LOT more and get a BIG smoker . Thou the BGE has a BIG advatage from what I have saw and read in winter it don't care what the weather is ! But I don't smoke or grill much in winter here in Michigan :O)

My wife wanted me to get a BGE when I bought the WSM 22 and the the WSM I couldn't see it and told her so :O) I figured I been doing good for a lot yrs on a big BBQ for yrs and I was right the WSM made life easier and does everything I could hoe for and more . But she wants to cook in winter so she may buy one for herself and I will use it to most likely :O)

A friend has 2 big ones you tow and I have helped him cater some events and that maybe my next step . But that another subject by itself .

Back