WSM Accessories. . .

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
Back when I first got my WSM I went looking for accessories and gadgets and gizmos that I could put on my wish list for Christmas. Now that it's November I am refining that list a bit and asking what was I thinking. Anyway, just thought I'd pop over here to see what y'all think.

First thing on my list is a good waterproof cover. Right now I'm tearing down my WSM after every use and storing it in the shed. Not that I'm getting lazy, but I'm getting tired of the haul. Plus the wife would like to use the space that it takes up for other things. I figure this will stay on the list. Any thoughts?

Next on my list is the Char-basket charcoal holder. I bought my OTG the year before the lid therm was available and it did not come with the char-basket. It's been 5 years and I've been alright w/out them (at least I think so), so I'm kinda iffy. Should they stay on the list?

Now comes the big "what was I thinking" item. It's the Weber Ash Shovel. Now I put this on the list probably after my first cook when I was trying to figure out what to do with the ash. Part of me says keep it on the list other part says I only want it cause it's a Weber. So my question to you. How do you deal w/ash? The special Weber shovel? Pick up the bowl and dump it? Shop-vac?

Finally I'm sure some of you have noticed that I haven't said anything about thermometers. That's because I've already got a Thermapen and an ET-732 on the list and they are staying there. I've heard enough good reviews about those that they are the only thing that I know I want for certain. That's it. The floor is yours!

Try http://www.the-cover-store.com for good covers.

Find a shovel from a fireplace set at a garage sale and save some money.

Skip the ET 732 and get the Thermoworks Chef's Alarm. About the same price and much more accurate. My ET 732 is the least accurate of any of my thermometers.

If you buy from Amazon I recommend using the "Amazon Shopping" Link that Chris has installed ^^^^ to help the site. It doesn't change your cost at all.

Cover-- I like it but I use the one it came with. Yours torn up?

Shovel-- I use a milk carton with the bottom cut out.

Char baskets-- I use lump in the Kettle and can't live without them. Briquettes probably don't require them.

Last edited:
If you buy from Amazon I recommend using the Link that Chris has to help the site. It doesn't change your cost at all.

Cover-- I like it but I use the one it came with. Yours torn up?

Shovel-- I use a milk carton with the bottom cut out.

Char baskets-- I use lump in the Kettle and can't live without them. Briquettes probably don't require them.

I was under the impression that the cover included from Weber was not water proof. Am I mistaken? The last thing I need is to have water collecting inside my smoker during the wet season.

I've heard the same thing. My WSM and Kettle have been sitting out on the Big Deck since the day I got them with the covers they came with and I've never had a water issue. YMMV.

Last edited:
Brian, I cover my WSM with a trash bag and then place the Weber cover over it. If the Weber cover leaks, the trash bag keeps water out of the smoker.

I pick mine up and dump it in a trash can, i did get a shovel from a fire place set which i thought would be handy, then i went back to dumping it

My WSM cover didn't last long and after trying a couple, I found one on Amazon. Use the link at the top of this page and search for " Classic Accessories Hickory Smoker/Fryer Cover ". It fits perfectly even with the handles I added to the middle section and it still going strong after 2 years of Indiana weather.

May I suggest adding another cooking grate to the list, nice to have a spare if the one on the WSM was forgotten and needs a soak to clean off all the gunk.
Also useful to flip it over and add a second level to the top grate.

Tim

Brian
First I love the baskets. They came with my performer, and if they ever go bad I'm replacing them. 15 bucks
Next I have the shovel, and for the 18 it's great! I use an old wallpaper brush to push the ash onto the shovel and just pitch it in the pot. 13 bucks
I also have the Weber compact chimney. I got it for my Smokey Joe, but it's perfect for the WSM. It's about 14 bucks
I keep my WSM in the garage, so I just put the cover on for looks :o

I just dump the bowl, so no need for the shovel. A half gallon plastic juice bottle cut in half works well on my kettles.

If you invert the center section before putting the Weber cover on, you will get no water accumulation inside the WSM.

I bought a small galvanized steel bucket to rest the ash and spent coals in, I just dump it from the bowl into the bucket, I keep the WSM under cover so the stock cover works for me. The idea of a fireplace poker is a great one though will have to pick one up.

I had one made from a truck tarpaulins that have high flexibility, good tensile strength and resistance to tear. These covers are U.V. protected offering high life. The tarpaulins are widely used in covering loads in trucks as they are waterproof and weather resistant. I brought it from a truck wreakers! (not the full thing!! got 3mx3m)
then took it too the local shoe repair shop and he charged $30 to sow it up, using a heavy thread!
The only problem its white, and stood out!

Back