WSM 22": adding clasps to fix mid and bottom sections

Tim Rudman

Since installing the lid hinge on my 22"WSM I have heard reports of the altered balance causing the mid section to tilt backward and part from the base section.
I think I once saw pictures of clasps people have installed to hold middle and base sections together, But I have searched the forum and can't find any. I have seen some neat adjustable clasps/clamps on amazon but most have rubber/resin handles. Would they melt so close to the fire?
Anybody have experience with this please?

I have the Canjun Bandit cylinder lock kit, I remember emailing them about the risk of potentially melting. They are heat resistant.

I put on 3 harbor freight wheels for about $9. So, $80 vs $30? and wheels I don't need. I think either The J clamps or I may try bending some sheet metal and buy 3 knobs. Don't get me wrong the CB stuff looks nice, but I hate spending more for accessories than the cooker.

I've got a hinge on both of my WSMs, the 18 and the 22, and both are very stable. I guess it may have something to do with your body-to-base fit, but mine are just fine. Just make sure that you follow the directions and mount them over the rear leg. Hope this helps and saves you some troubles.

Charlie

I've got a hinge on both of my WSMs, the 18 and the 22, and both are very stable. I guess it may have something to do with your body-to-base fit, but mine are just fine. Just make sure that you follow the directions and mount them over the rear leg. Hope this helps and saves you some troubles.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie - I never even thought about a front and back to my WSM.

Charlie
Good to know Charlie. I did line up with the rest leg OK, but the consequences of tipping over a mid section full of boiling water over hot coals doesn't bear thinking about! :)

Good to know Charlie. I did line up with the rest leg OK, but the consequences of tipping over a mid section full of boiling water over hot coals doesn't bear thinking about! :)
That's a point to consider for sure Tim. If you're using water, you'll be a little more top heavy than mine, as I never use water in either one.

Charlie

I have been looking at variants of this design - lots similar on amazon uk. Anybody have thoughts on these? Also, would the heat be a problem?
1626764150129.png

I have used similar clamps/hold downs for welding, heat-wise you should be fine. At the very worst you might want to remove the plastic handle if it becomes an issue, but it would probably be fine. You can get these at McMaster Carr, search for "Latch Style Toggle Clamps". I'm not sure if I can post a direct link here. If you have any problems finding them, let me know and I will figure out the part number for you.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie. I'm in the UK though, but there are a number of similar looking items on amazon uk. They do look a bit like overkill I think. I can see my WSM staring to look like a Christmas tree with all these extra pieces I am adding! :)

Tim...
I would bet those tipping issues involved people who did not read and follow the manufacturer's directions...
In the aviation world, it's called Pilot Error.

Attached are the hinge mounting instructions. It specifically states that the hinge needs to be positioned directly above one of the 3 legs for stability. The only reason I have the cylinder lock kit attached is for added stability when I wheel the WSM around. My WSM resides on a concrete patio, however I have an additional patio added on made of pavers. I sometimes move the beast around depending on the weather, guests, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3322.JPG
    IMG_3322.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 6

Back