WSM 22.5 Versus a UDS Smoker

Paul Maples

Folks I ordered a new WSM 22.5 smoker today. I am also in the process of building a UDS. MY question is, disregarding cost, what are the advantages and disadvantages each of these smokers have over the other one? The WSM uses a water pan and most of the UDS smokers do not stating that the dripping fat on the hot coals atomatizes and goes back in the meat thus enhancing the flavor. Do any of you WSM users not use the water pan so that the fat can drip down on the coals for added flavor or does this not make a big difference. I would be intersted in anyone's views and opinions on this.

Thanks,

Paul

The water pan is used for temperature control not for moisture.
1. Without the water pan you will be cooking directly and not indirectly
2. No way you will achieve low temps.

Also "enhanced" flavor is a matter of opinion. The odor of charred fat does not necessarily mean an improvement. It's one of those personal preference things. As you may be aware some UDS folks add some kind of fat catching layer because that's their preference.

Sounds like you're already doing both. If you weren't I'd say you might as well build the UDS if you enjoy tinkering. It's not like the parts are expensive.

Yes, it's a personal preference issue. I sometimes cook chicken in the WSM with no pan, but don't prefer the "enhanced" flavor of fat dripping on the coals for most other cooks.

Although, technically speaking, cooking in the drum smoker with no pan is direct, you CAN achieve slow-cooked results. The grate is quite far from the coals.

Back