WSM 22.5 Hasn't Even Arrived and I'm Already Overwhelmed.

Sounds like a great meal. I'm interested in how your sausages come out. I've never had good luck with the chicken sausages in the smoker. They come out tough and dry (not enough fat content). Where you happy with yours? How long did you cook them for?
They were ok, not great. I took them off when they were done after half an hour.

Just put the chicken on, so I was able to take a pic of the butts:
butts_cropped.jpg

After seven hours, I'm quite impressed. I've only had to adjust the airflow 3 or 4 times, and it has maintained between 210 and 265 the entire time.

Took the big one off at 165 after a little under 9 hours. FANTASTIC flavor and juiciness. Letting the small one go to 190 for pulling.

So, um, talk about "fall off the bone...."

I was going to baste it in BBQ sauce for the last 30-60 minutes of cooking. Temp got to 186, so I went out, basted one side, set timer for 15 minutes. After 15, temp was at 188. Timing looking good. I go out there to turn it over, stick two forks in it to turn, and the meat just complete falls off the bone. Oops. Any idea what I could have done to cause that, or do I just need to not turn it at that juncture? That said, I'm pretty sure that if I'd just taken it off right then, some of it would have just fallen on the ground as it fell off the bone...

Well, despite the weirdness with the thing falling apart, it tastes great and pulled successfully.

pulled_small.jpg

Final word on my first smoker

The WSM itself: A++. Absolutely thrilled with it. Never added charcoal and it stayed in the 210-265 range for 11 1/2 hours.
Chicken Sausage: C+. It was ok, but easily the worst of everything I did. I don't think it was anything I did "wrong" in terms of overcooking or temperature. I suspect, as was mentioned above, that this just isn't a fit.
Boneless Breasts: B. My fault there. The thermometer I used on those had been giving me trouble so I shouldn't have trusted it. My intuition said that they were ready, but it was reading 145 so I didn't open the grill and look. When it stayed at 145 for much longer than it should have, I finally looked, and they were overcooked. Flavor was fantastic, though.
Pulled Pork: A. I didn't do any rub other than salt and the BBQ sauce at the end. It could stand the little extra flavor, but absolutely no complaints. Froze 2 pounds of it to serve to guests on New Years' Day.
Sliced Pork: A+. Easily the best I've ever done. Fantastic flavor and juiciness. Wow. My 3-year-old daughter gave it her seal of approval as follows:

Carter: "I want to taste that. What is it, Daddy?"
Daddy: "Pork."
{Daddy cuts a piece, hands it to Carter}
Carter: "This pork is yummy, Daddy. Pwease may I have a pwate pwease?"

I gave her a "pwate," and she downed everything on it and came over to the table for more:

http://younglifenorthdekalb.com/ccfl/images/IMG_0828.MOV

You have a sweet little girl and the video was awesome! I only wish my kids were back at home and that age still. The pork looks like it came out great and looks fantastic.

I never turn, baste, flip, rotate, spritz or put sauce on butts, they just set there cooking until done. It's not unusual for them to fall apart like that, I usually slide a large spatula under to unstick them from the grate then just lift it off with a set off heatproof gloves. I've had them spit apart quite often.

After seven hours, I'm quite impressed. I've only had to adjust the airflow 3 or 4 times, and it has maintained between 210 and 265 the entire time.

Ben, if your adjusting the airflow 3 or 4 times in 7 hours you're working too hard my friend. Once you get a few cooks in and the build up on the insides you won't have to futze with it this much. Let it go - the temp will ride up and down in a given range. Mine likes to go to 275* and then rides back down to 240 - 250* ish. If I touch it once in 8 hours I feel like I am over thinking it.

Back