WSM 22.5 door handle issues

Hello All,

I have had to replace two doors so far on my 22.5 WSM for the same issue. The handle and cam latch assembly loosen up and eventually fall apart. When I spoke with the service rep from Weber she said that this was a rare occurrence so I thought I would bounce it off the online community if anyone else had this issue.

I don't own the big boy WSM, but one thing I've read and done is always turn the handle clockwise to open/close. I also put a dab of blue thread-lock on my 08 WSM. Does yours just loosen up, or does the thread/bolt/insert eventually strip or fall out?

Tim

Hello All,

I have had to replace two doors so far on my 22.5 WSM for the same issue. The handle and cam latch assembly loosen up and eventually fall apart. When I spoke with the service rep from Weber she said that this was a rare occurrence so I thought I would bounce it off the online community if anyone else had this issue.

Here's my fix. Had to drill a small hole, but I have not needed to touch it since.

20111105-DSC_4515.jpg

20111105-DSC_4517.jpg

Last edited:
I don't own the big boy WSM, but one thing I've read and done is always turn the handle clockwise to open/close. I also put a dab of blue thread-lock on my 08 WSM. Does yours just loosen up, or does the thread/bolt/insert eventually strip or fall out?

Tim

I never thought of the loctite, that is a great idea! It loosens then eventually falls apart. When it fell apart the last time I didn't see anything threaded holding it together it looked more like a press-fit assembly. A dab of loctite over the whole assembly should do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion!

I think the problem is that the brass internal threaded piece that gets pressed into the handle loosens up and finally falls out. I had this during a cook on Saturday morning. I had to end up using "Duct Tape" to get the door to stay on. Weber is sending me a new door but I think I need a way to keep the brass insert in. I'd like to see what Craig did? The pictures no longer appear.

Last edited:

Back