WSM 22 1/2" First Cook & Mods

Larry Corall

TVWBB Super Fan
First the mods ...
2 3/8" eyelets at cooking grid level
wheels
handles
2nd charcoal grate to criss-cross
I did not drill or weld for additional "L" brackets for cooking grates - I had one of those adjustable grates that I had never used from when I bought a Smokenator several years ago - it worked great for my needs.
The cook ...
3 4 1/2 lb. beer can chickens
8 lbs. pork country ribs (I couldn't find the rib tips that I wanted to do.)
4 links fresh Polish sausage
Total cook time was 4 1/2 hours - country ribs on for the whole time, chickens for 3 1/2 hours, sausage for 2 1/2.
Filled the charcoal ring about 2/3 full with Royal Oak lump and 5 fist sized chunks of hickory, started the burn with 2/3 chimney of the lump and used a full water pan. Temp hit 300 and I closed my bottom vents to about 1/2 - temp settled in to a little over 250 - maybe 252 - I never had to touch anything again until I pulled the meat.
Pulled the ribs off at 170 and the chickens at 167 - I did not measure the internal of the sausage.
I did not do anything to seal the door and did not notice smoke seaping through it - I get more smoke seapage out of my unsealed 18 1/2"r.
Everything turned out great!

Sounds like a success all around. I wanted to add handles and eyelets, but couldn't bring myself to put holes in the brand new WSM.

Fairly certain I'll modify the brackets soon for a middle grate though.

Have any pictures to share of the mods?

Brian - I'm not the handiest guy and I was reluctant to drill into the WSM. I measured and remeasured, taped, and drilled pilot holes.
Everything turned out good.
I'll post some pictures - there are plenty already under Modifications - if I ever get around to learning 1st to remember to take them and 2nd how to post them.

Larry,

I just got a 22" WSM and have owned an 18.5" WSM for two years.

Can you tell me how much water was left in the pan after your cook? Did you need to add any water mid-cook?

Larry - I'm sure I will break down and make the mods eventually, experimenting with taking the tempatature through the vent for now with my maverick probe.

Tim - I probably still had 1/2 pan of water.
Brian - One of the first things I did when I got my 18 1/2"r was come to this site and one of the first things I read was the Modifications. I knew that when I put the 22 1/2"r together that I was going to do the mods first.
My mods are basic and were inexpensive but well worth it.

Back