WSM 18 refit and overhaul

JaimeG-higonzilla

TVWBB Member
My WSM 18 had a good season this year and is going through refit and overhaul. I added a hinge, front handle and vent handle to carry easily. New thermometer, a gasket around the door and the Hunsaker diffusing Vortex plate and rib hanger. I added a brass probe port as part of voyage repair.

20231216_144444.jpg

20231216_144458.jpg

20231216_135429.jpg

20231216_144631.jpg.

That's a great set of overhauls there, Jaime. I have an old, worn 18" WSM given to me for free. I would like to do at least a few of the things you have.

How do you like the lid hinge so far?

That's a great set of overhauls there, Jaime. I have an old, worn 18" WSM given to me for free. I would like to do at least a few of the things you have.

How do you like the lid hinge so far?
Hey Jon. I haven't been able to use the hinge in a cook. Nice and smooth, I really like it so far. Easy to install. I used a small bit for a pilot hole then a step bit for the nuts and bolts that were provided with the kit. I did use the brass fitting probe port. That works like a charm. I need a better way to hang my thermometer. BTW I was in your neck of the woods on Saturday. I picked up a 1973-1974 red 22" kettle from a really nice guy.

I've had an Unknown BBQ hinge for awhile on my 18" and it's been a big improvement.

Once you figure out the lift-and-drop move, it works great. Would recommend.

Back