WSM 18.5 - Salvageable?

If you are going to have to cut anyway, I wouldn't do the grommet. I'd just used the method where you cut a slit in the back of the WSM along the lid.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cutting-a-probe-thermometer-slot.html

I'd feel way better doing this than I would trying to drill a hole for the grommet. Mine came with the grommet so I just use it, but the slot is probably more convenient. If you feel comfortable with it, then go for it.

Yeah, I've seen that mod also. I am torn, that does look to be easier to use, but I also kind of like the "stock look" of the gasket. I don't think it would be that bad to drill for the gasket with a step bit, no?

We are going to have differing opinions about this. For how I am wired, I would want to drill the circular hole for the grommet. But I would want ensure that I drill the exact diameter that is needed. On my stock WSM's, inserting the grommet is an extremely tight fit.

We are going to have differing opinions about this. For how I am wired, I would want to drill the circular hole for the grommet. But I would want ensure that I drill the exact diameter that is needed. On my stock WSM's, inserting the grommet is an extremely tight fit.

SO, the tight fit, is that good or bad? I would imagine that being tight might be a pain to install, but once its in you don't have to worry about leaks?

SO, the tight fit, is that good or bad? I would imagine that being tight might be a pain to install, but once its in you don't have to worry about leaks?

It is my assumption that the extremely tight fit is a positive, as you suspect. I have read some users on various facebook groups share what they believe to be the correct diameter but there has been dispute over the correct diameter. If I were in your position I'd reach-out to Weber for the correct spec.

It is my assumption that the extremely tight fit is a positive, as you suspect. I have read some users on various facebook groups share what they believe to be the correct diameter but there has been dispute over the correct diameter. If I were in your position I'd reach-out to Weber for the correct spec.

I have a 14.5 WSM that has one installed from factory, I could pop that one out and measure the hole. Probably not a bad idea, but I think I have read elsewhere that the hole needs to be 1.25"

This grommet is silicone, you really don’t want to go too large, if it’s a really snug fit, there is no problem. I’d simply look at the spec sheet, my guess is there will be dimensions printed on the package. A step drill should be just fine.
Hey, it was a $30 grill. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! You will be just fine don’t start the drill until you’ve read the specs, it will not take a lot of time but care should be taken not to go too fast and end up “one step beyond”.
Don’t worry, Grill happy!

This grommet is silicone, you really don’t want to go too large, if it’s a really snug fit, there is no problem. I’d simply look at the spec sheet, my guess is there will be dimensions printed on the package. A step drill should be just fine.
Hey, it was a $30 grill. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! You will be just fine don’t start the drill until you’ve read the specs, it will not take a lot of time but care should be taken not to go too fast and end up “one step beyond”.
Don’t worry, Grill happy!

Eh, I figure while I am at it, I might as well drill for a dome thermometer. While I don't use the one on my akorn often, and can't forsee me using the one on the WSM, sometimes I feel its a nice indicator of how things are "heating up"

Excellent buy at $30. I picked up a newer model for $30 last year and its my favorite WSM to cook on. A friend of mine just got an older 18WSM in nicer shape for $25.

I’d skip the dome thermometer, but, it’s yours, you can do as you please.
Mine had been “notched” prior to my acquiring it from a member here. The job was done so well it’s virtually undetectable. I have yet to fire my “grommetted 22” but, that time is coming, it has dome thermometer so, I will see what the differential between the two is so, if one goes bad I can still know what things are doing, sort of.

Last edited:

Back