WSM 18.5" only option in Oz, is it big enough?

I'm perfectly happy with my 18". I would not want bigger or smaller. A couple times a year I will cook for 12-15 families with it but at the same time I don't mind lighting it up for wing night, a couple 5lb beef roasts (for leftovers) or even just a single chicken and rack of ribs for the family but those quantities would look redicoulus on a 22".

A friend has the 22" and the trouble becomes charcoal efficiency. When you light up a machine that big you need to be planning a big cook all the time. Think 10-12 whole chickens or 6 pork shoulders to fill it.

Most recently I have done 2x22 LBS turkeys for Canadian Thanksgiving on my 18". A whole bird on top and a quartered bird on the bottom rack. We prefered the quartered bird but I "needed" the picture of a whole bird for posterity reasons. In the end a little meat prep goes a long way to maximize the grill. For example I prefer to portion my ribs into 3-5 bone in pieces for serving convenience. I can still fit a couple whole racks as show pieces. Even a big brisket will fit bent over a bowl on the top rack.

Thanks for all the advice. Arrived by delivery today (very quick indeed).

Can't wait to fire it up, no doubt I will be spamming this forum with lots of beginners questions in the meantime!

Back