WSM 18.5 cooking grate drops in....

I'll pull a few measurements on my 2013 tomorrow and report back. Sounds like the 2014 is held to less tolerances?

Watch out, you're in the midst of folks here who own the older WSM's so don't believe we have an issue with this...

Bill

It's not that I don't believe you, just hard to understand. Every spec I read on the 18.5" shows a ID of just around 17.5" The lid and charcoal bowl are from a old Jumbo Joe or Smokey Joe Platinum.
Since Weber reintroduced the Jumbo Joe last year maybe they changed the diameter slightly larger, and by using that as a base they also might of changed the diameter of the newer Wsm's.
Still puzzling, and that in no way is an excuse to why your grate slips in. That could be potentially dangerous with a pan of hot greasy water.
I would take some pics and contact Weber CS if you haven't already.

Tim

It's not that I don't believe you, just hard to understand. Every spec I read on the 18.5" shows a ID of just around 17.5" The lid and charcoal bowl are from a old Jumbo Joe or Smokey Joe Platinum.
Since Weber reintroduced the Jumbo Joe last year maybe they changed the diameter slightly larger, and by using that as a base they also might of changed the diameter of the newer Wsm's.
Still puzzling, and that in no way is an excuse to why your grate slips in. That could be potentially dangerous with a pan of hot greasy water.
I would take some pics and contact Weber CS if you haven't already.

Tim

Joe and Tim,

I have written Weber about this back when I first reported it here. The submission form on the Weber site would not accept the serial number on this WSM so I sent the form as a troubleshooting issue but included the serial number and a detailed explanation of the issue. I was not able to register this smoker either since the serial number was not accepted as valid but I filled in the exact serial number as it is etched into the upper damper. (the letter/number series on the upper damper) Shucks, maybe they'll send me a whole 22" WSM instead - which I should have bought in the first place - fat chance! But it has been reported....They'll probably just send some proper brackets or something - maybe four washers! whoop-de-doo!

Yep, when your specimen does not have the issue, it's hard to wrap your head around anything else sometimes.

On the 18.5 capacity....you should be able to do 6 and maybe 8 racks.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wsmcapacity.html
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribselect.html#capacity

Joe,
We used the curled up method to smoke them then wrapped them each in foil and just piled them on the grate for the high temperature cook. I need to get some better rib racks since the Weber half round loop ones are not high enough. I went right off the VWB site for the pork spare-ribs and darn, did they come out good!

Sorry to 'cross-up' topics here!

Bill

I'll pull a few measurements on my 2013 tomorrow and report back. Sounds like the 2014 is held to less tolerances?

Things change Chad, so maybe some corners were cut before contemplating the consequences. Tim is correct; this could cause a serious accident like a bad burn or worse: dropping a prime piece of meat!

I just came back from HD and checked out the floor model 18.5" WSM. Had a tape and checked the ID which was 17 1/2" one way, checked the opposite and it was 18", checked a few others and it varied between 1/4" to 3/8" Slid the grate which was 17 1/2" and it did fall off on the 18" side.
I could tell that one was out of round, and placing the lid on showed the large gap on the 18" side.

Tim

Likewise, I just got back from HD and measured the floor model. Here's what they have displayed to the world...

10351665_10203197095824472_9054965288047394507_n.jpg

Nice job, boys. Yup, just like Weber designed it and intended for it to be used! Anyway...

The outside-to-outside of the lip is 18 7/8" on both the 14' and my 13' (both units were measured for roundness and within 1/16")
The inside-to-inside of the body was 17 3/4" on the 14' and 17 7/8" on my 13'
The support straps appeared to project 1/2" on my 13' and measured 16 7/8" inbetween them. For obvious reasons, I couldn't measure the 14'
The cooking grate measured 17 1/2" on the 14 and 17 7/16" on my 13'
If I rotate the cooking grate on my 13', I can see where things would be close to having the opposite support not under the grate. I think mine would be supported by 1/8" at most and that's to a rounded cooking grate on a body which isn't supported to stay in 'round'
I haven't had an issue yet, but I also (subconsciously) place the cooking grated centered on the supports when I place it it.

From what I'm seeing, I don't see any changes from the 13' to 14' model years in regards to measurements.
Actually, the 14' measurements on the display unit make more sense with a slightly tighter body and a hair bigger grate.

Likewise, I just got back from HD and measured the floor model. Here's what they have displayed to the world...

10351665_10203197095824472_9054965288047394507_n.jpg

Nice job, boys. Yup, just like Weber designed it and intended for it to be used! Anyway...

The outside-to-outside of the lip is 18 7/8" on both the 14' and my 13' (both units were measured for roundness and within 1/16")
The inside-to-inside of the body was 17 3/4" on the 14' and 17 7/8" on my 13'
The support straps appeared to project 1/2" on my 13' and measured 16 7/8" inbetween them. For obvious reasons, I couldn't measure the 14'
The cooking grate measured 17 1/2" on the 14 and 17 7/16" on my 13'
If I rotate the cooking grate on my 13', I can see where things would be close to having the opposite support not under the grate. I think mine would be supported by 1/8" at most and that's to a rounded cooking grate on a body which isn't supported to stay in 'round'
I haven't had an issue yet, but I also (subconsciously) place the cooking grated centered on the supports when I place it it.

From what I'm seeing, I don't see any changes from the 13' to 14' model years in regards to measurements.
Actually, the 14' measurements on the display unit make more sense with a slightly tighter body and a hair bigger grate.

I hate to point out to you good buddy but according to your photo those grate, pan, grate brackets are mounted in the mid section up side down (you had to notice!). The smoker would be unusable assembled in that way....Someone in the store probably witnessed the fact that the cooking grate would fall into the smoker with the brackets mounted according to the Weber assembly instructions - without spacers!

Thanks for the help!

Bill

I hate to point out to you good buddy but according to your photo those grate, pan, grate brackets are mounted in the mid section up side down (you had to notice!). The smoker would be unusable assembled in that way....Someone in the store probably witnessed the fact that the cooking grate would fall into the smoker with the brackets mounted according to the Weber assembly instructions - without spacers!

Thanks for the help!

Bill

But then you weren't replying to my original post... sorry I butted in. You guys have it all figured out!

Again, I dislike settling for second best or products that don't work or fit as advertised. I must have a totally alien WSM 18.5 with these problems after assembly that don't make sense to you folks, but there they are. Weber doesn't accept the serial number on this WSM so maybe I have slipped into the twilight zone with this smoker. Mine is the only one with this issue - except one other. I've made the measurements that you made and you basically substantiate them. The grate is too small OR the brackets are too short because THE GRATE FALLS INTO THE MID SECTION! PERIOD! Spacers are required for the product to function correctly! PERIOD! Now FO!

If I were a Weber Customer Service Rep, I would make it my life's mission to make Bill C. happy !
Weber, you do not want him mad at you.
I'm talkin' to you Weber !

;)

You guys have it all figured out!

Well duh, we're not the ones whining about our WSM's. We're actually using them without a hitch.

Again, I dislike settling for second best or products that don't work or fit as advertised.

Yeah, you'd be much happier with the Brinkmann products. Which is probably where your mentality is anyway...

I must have a totally alien WSM 18.5 with these problems after assembly that don't make sense to you folks, but there they are.

Can you quote ANYONE who stated those problems didn't exist in your model?

Weber doesn't accept the serial number on this WSM so maybe I have slipped into the twilight zone with this smoker.

After reading your threads and the way you respond to people trying to assess & assisit your situation, I hope Weber never helps you out.

THE GRATE FALLS INTO THE MID SECTION! PERIOD! Spacers are required for the product to function correctly! PERIOD!

Weber has made what, tens of thousands of these if not more and yet --- it doesn't seem to be an issue. Have you actually had the grate fall into the mid section? Not that you give a rip as all you seem to do is beeotch, but I went to my 18" and tipped the grate under one support and tried my damndest to get the grate to fall in --- to no avail.

Bwhahahaha.... That's the best you could come up with? You sure showed me, tiger!

Mine has the same issue with the top grate falling in. I also saw another thread (or two) on this so it's clearly a manufacturing issue. Any body gotten any type of response from Weber?

Is there a reason why you wish to be such a pompous jackass? People come here for help just as you did when you first started, there is no reason to make such rude and ignorant comments such as these. Maybe you should take your rude and inconsiderate *** to another forum!

Well duh, we're not the ones whining about our WSM's. We're actually using them without a hitch.

Yeah, you'd be much happier with the Brinkmann products. Which is probably where your mentality is anyway...

Can you quote ANYONE who stated those problems didn't exist in your model?

After reading your threads and the way you respond to people trying to assess & assisit your situation, I hope Weber never helps you out.

Weber has made what, tens of thousands of these if not more and yet --- it doesn't seem to be an issue. Have you actually had the grate fall into the mid section? Not that you give a rip as all you seem to do is beeotch, but I went to my 18" and tipped the grate under one support and tried my damndest to get the grate to fall in --- to no avail.

Bwhahahaha.... That's the best you could come up with? You sure showed me, tiger!

Let me think... I just read through all the posts..

When I did the 18 redesign and the 22 (and the 14 which they introduced after I left)...

The bowls and lids of the smokers are all bowls from the respective size kettle.

The water pan on the 18 was a lid of a 14". The new water pan of the 18 was a bowl of a 14". To the inside straps, I added a downward angle to secure the bowl shape.

The water pan of the 22 was a lid of an 18". The water pan of the original 14 was that of the Weber Torch backyard accessory. That tooling was lost, so I used a dollar store stainless bowl.

The 18 had a slightly smaller grate as the lower one and a standard 18 on the top -same as the kettle. This was true for the 22" and the 14" as well.

The added heat shields were the old ash catchers from the kettles..

(They get their money's worth out of the tooling, that's for sure!)

There were never any spacers needed. Just the fiber washers and the regular hardware.

Last week our moderator told me the sizes were adjusted a couple years back after my departure. Apparently you can now lift out the middle grate easily? I always viewed that as a safety hazard. One of these days I'll walk over to the grill section at the store and see what it all looks like these days. I certainly hope that they are still putting out decent stuff without people having to rig up something to get it working.

I'm pretty sure the original poster/topic.. they possibly have incorrect parts. If it was assembled during a time of change -new parts phasing in and old phasing out, it's quite possible that parts were mixed. I know at least a few years ago, all the kettles/WSMs were packaged at Huntley, IL by hand. I would try calling customer service or returning the thing and starting over.

As moderator, it's hard for me to keep track of every thread, and no one reported this one to me until today. Looks like folks got a bit frustrated with each other. We're all just trying to help one another, let's treat each other with respect and courtesy in our discussions.

This is a known issue from time to time. Let's face it, despite what we'd like to think or what we expect, these are not high precision-made products. You shouldn't have to add washers or make adjustments to solve a problem like this. If you want to, that's your choice. If you don't, contact Weber for a replacement part(s) or your retailer for a refund. There are variations in diameter of middle section and sometimes slight variations in batches of cooking grates and grill straps, and in some combinations these variations result in unstable cooking grates.

Yes, Weber does read these forums, but your best course of action is to call them at 800-446-1071 and ask for help. A grate that seems to want to fall off the grill straps is a serious issue and they should be sending replacement parts to solve that problem. Complaining here won't get you replacement parts.

Good luck,
Chris

I have had 3 different 18.5 wsms. (2002/2006 and now a 2014) The grate def on 2014 model does not sit right, and it is not out of round. I use the washers like suggested and it is fine, but I might still call Weber to let them know.

The water pan of the 22 was a lid of an 18". The water pan of the original 14 was that of the Weber Torch backyard accessory. That tooling was lost, so I used a dollar store stainless bowl.

Bumping an old thread here, but has anyone found a cheap stainless steel bowl to fit the 18" WSM?

Back