WSK Opinion

I suppose you could get hung up on the exact terminology. Kamados, as I understand it, started as ceramic designs from Japan. Nonetheless, the Weber Summit (now with Kamado in its name) ably fills the same slot as does some other interesting ideas such as the all stainless kamado someone offered or even ones like the Bubba Keg or Chargriller’s quasi-plastic version.

I am expecting to receive my Spider “Kettle Kamado” today. Given its much shallower depth, I would have to say the “kamado” in the name is s bit of a stretch. However, the rugged, innovative design - especially the fuel door - makes it very appealing to me regardless of what label you attach to it.

I would buy a WSK in a heart-beat if I did’t have my WPD and Master Touch Kettles and a WSM. I am confident that the WSK would always give me a smooth positive grilling session.

Last edited:
Technically, most "Kamados" should be called Mushikamados if we're going off of the original Japanese terminology. Kamados were stationary while Mushikamados are considered movable. But, the material used to make the cooking device isn't strictly limited to one specific material type, although the original Kamados were typically made of unfired clay.

Does the Kamado Joe II use charcoal as the fuel source? If so, it's generally going to be categorized as a charcoal grill just like the Summit Kamado, so I'm not sure how sure how calling the Summit Kamado a "glorified charcoal grill" is a negative.

And, the WSK has a 24" diameter cooking grate vs the 18" on the KJ2. Plus, the WSK E6 is 110 lbs. lighter, so it's much easier to move. It's also more forgiving if you overshoot your target temperature and need to bring it back down, and it'll never crack.

There are a bunch of reasons the WSK is a better choice over a 225 pound turd............XL BGE is 24 iches BTW......and 225 pounds.
But good point noted above there Brent.........

Love the grill you're with. It's more about the griller than the grill. If you're ready for an upgrade from a 22" kettle, the WSK makes way more sense than a BGE or Kamado Joe (in my opinion)

Back