WSC/WSK E/S6 owners - share your brisket LAS techniques

the dump method def ensures enough fuel and the fuel is dense enough to walk the fire around the coals through the burn. i'm planning on B&B charlogs and or their briqs, might use KPro too if i don't have enough B&B on hand. to me the briqs, all brands, are just heat for this cook. flavor will come from the woods used. i'm really thinking of oak and i have a nice stash of CA white oak that's pretty dense and imparts a nice flavor onto beef cooks.

how much water you recommend in the pan? i'm thinking of a lower temp target range of that 225-250. thinking 275-300 will cook quickly in the E6 because it's so well insulated. or a 250-275 max range. i will be using Signals which I've come ot love becuase the lid never opens and i never lose time anymore. great tool and very happy with it.

i'm thinking with lower temps and water pan, i won't need to wrap. your thoughts? if i wrap, then i need to get up and do it at O'early AM.... share your thoughts, please.

i've always cooked briskets fat cap up, never down. curious as to your experience in fat cap down.
Please tell me about the dump method.

use a half tray with how much water, 2 inches? will that be enough atop the diffuser plate to keep me in low temp range and with enough moisture for the brisket?
I use drip pan and pour 4 cups or so of water in it. Once the water evaporates, it’ll be 4 to 5 hours. Then spritz if you need to.The whole idea is to keep the moisture level up nd sleep all night!

use a half tray with how much water, 2 inches? will that be enough atop the diffuser plate to keep me in low temp range and with enough moisture for the brisket?
Based on E6 cooks both brisket and pulled pork......I have to add more water to the drip pan every time. When you asked about tips on the pulled pork I mentioned using the drip pan......the water will dry up...not sure how big that pan is but I would guess easy half way through.
once it is dry the fat in there at that point will start smoking and its not what you want to add to your cook.

Last edited:
Please tell me about the dump method.
Hey Mike, glad to offer my experiences on the E6

I’ve had mine almost a year now. Prior to the E6 I came off a WSM 18. Both are very different cookers but similar in approach.

Some people like a snake method in the E6 but I found that it might not be the best method in the E6. The E6 likes to have a density of fuel and you can easily manage temps via the lower vent (smoke symbol setting).

I started out by loading up the E6 with briqs, since heat was all I needed, and then added wood chunks for smoke flavor.

A fully loaded E6 can burn for 24 hours+ from some videos I’ve seen.

So for a LAS and or HAF cooks, load up your briqs and then you’re going to place lit coals atop your pile.

Since you won’t be opening the lid or need to add more fuel because you’re running loaded, this method will ensure a long cook and or a HAF short cook. Adjusting your bottom vent to more open, will get you to temps of 350°-400° (Using the diffuser of course to spread and make for even heat).

1653502233132.jpeg

In this pic I loaded briqs at lowest coal grate setting and then lit my chimney. Once the chimney was all lit, I dumped the hot coals atop the cold coals, similar to a donut method on a WSM.

Here’s the lit coals ready to be covered by the diffuser and then cooking grate. Basically readying and steadying the E6 for temp.

1653502376895.jpeg

This amount of coal should easily get you to 12-16 hours of LAS cook time, 250-275° temps. Some might chime in and agree that up to 300° will work too for this coal load (think a butt cook going 8-10 hours).

Here’s how the coals look after an 8 hour cook from the above session.

1653503402636.jpeg

There’s been threads on E6s with consensus that for LAS on E6 your fuel has to have coal contact points to other briqs so that the cold briqs will light when needed.

This dump method makes cooking LAS on the E6 super easy. And that a snake method might not be the best approach for the E6, since you'll manage temps and fuel consumption via the lower vent opening.

The WSK/WSC cookers are so well insulated that you need less fuel over time to maintain temps, thus you’ll get an even and consistent cook temp throughout your cook.

The key is your bottom vent setting and then dial in your top vent to keep airflow moving.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have. There’s a bunch of experienced WSC/WSK owners on this board now.

Last edited:
Based on E6 cooks both brisket and pulled pork......I have to add more water to the drip pan every time. When you asked about tips on the pulled pork I mentioned using the drip pan......the water will dry up...not sure how big that pan is but I would guess easy half way through.
once it is dry the fat in there at that point will start smoking and its not what you want to add to your cook.

a tip I've learned from my BGE, is to have an air gap between the deflector and the drip pan.

When I use a round drip pan I use three pieces of foil crumpled into small balls to lift the pan up a bit. I use four balls with a rectangular pan.

I do not add water when cooking a pork butt on my BGE and when the drip pan is elevated the drippings do not burn.

I've not cooked a brisket, it so I cannot comment on that but I would expect it would be similar.

a tip I've learned from my BGE, is to have an air gap between the deflector and the drip pan.

When I use a round drip pan I use three pieces of foil crumpled into small balls to lift the pan up a bit. I use four balls with a rectangular pan.

I do not add water when cooking a pork butt on my BGE and when the drip pan is elevated the drippings do not burn.

I've not cooked a brisket, it so I cannot comment on that but I would expect it would be similar.
Thought about doing something like that as the diffuser has to be crazy hot......pro tip.. thanks.

Thanks for the explanation Brett. I also have a WSM 22 and a KJ III. I am doin similar with my E6, but no chimney. Load full chamber (soon to be Arborfab basket) full of coal and then light a small patch with my torch or fire starter then let it come up. Wood spread all around.

Thanks for the explanation Brett. I also have a WSM 22 and a KJ III. I am doin similar with my E6, but no chimney. Load full chamber (soon to be Arborfab basket) full of coal and then light a small patch with my torch or fire starter then let it come up. Wood spread all around.
YVW. I'll be watching your posts about your new Arborfab basket. I have steel mesh that i am going to make into a coal basket. I just need to figure out which shape I want it in before bending and cutting it. I am a HUGE fan of using the Weber CBs to hold briqs or lump as they make reloading a chimney super easy and fast. Dense fuel (all fuel touching) is so key to keeping even temps on the E6. I'll even do CBs on the lower coal grate and create a small runway between the CBs and load that too with briqs for longer type cooks or direct type cooks where I want heat, but not super direct heat (think kebobs or thick cut steaks).

Note, I'm a huge JDXL fan for direct, searing hot cooks for its flavor and heat. Nothing cooks hotter. And briqs/char logs for LAS cooks all work fine.

And we hope to get back to MIA soon. We do enjoy vacationing there pre and post cruises.

looking good.........be at your place for 6 then?
that was an oldie. next full packer is June 12th. brisket will go on at 11P on June 11th for this LAS cook. going to make some beans and possibly ribs too. having a bunch of healthy eaters over for some food, wine and fun. i'll leave the rest of the menu to the guests so they can help out some.

i used a slim drip pan and the water cooked off 1x during that cook. had to refill it as you stated, the fat dripping cooking off were not pleasant to add to the butt. for this coming brisket cook, i'll be using a 1/4 sheet aluminum pan with a fair amount of water in it so it'll go the night and i can get some shuteye too. and using @DanHoo's method, airgapping the the pan to lower the water's temp to reduce boil-out of the water.

that was an oldie. next full packer is June 12th. brisket will go on at 11P on June 11th for this LAS cook. going to make some beans and possibly ribs too. having a bunch of healthy eaters over for some food, wine and fun. i'll leave the rest of the menu to the guests so they can help out some.
I think you can just add ribs to the 24" at the right time if you have room....if you have plans on resting for 3 hours that might work too......my ribs usually take around 4 hours....some of that is braising in the oven while I finish the last 30 minutes or so on the bbq which usually is hot cook wings after the ribs come off.

I think you can just add ribs to the 24" at the right time if you have room....if you have plans on resting for 3 hours that might work too......my ribs usually take around 4 hours....some of that is braising in the oven while I finish the last 30 minutes or so on the bbq which usually is hot cook wings after the ribs come off.
agreed. from brisket resting, i can get a few rib racks up and cook them and dinner should be ready with all proteins at the same time.

I use a stainless pizza pan that fits inside the depressed area of the deflector. Placed upside-down, it gives a nice air space and a large flat area to set the drip pan.

For clarity, here are some pics of my E6 drip pan set up (excuse the ash, I just emptied it.)

Here's the deflector:
IMG_2905.JPG

Stainless pizza pan, upside down in deflector. The surface of the pizza pan is about 1/4" above the rim of the deflector, so it's a good airspace and little chance of blocking smoke travel:
IMG_2906.JPG

"Half size" stainless steam table pan on the pizza pan platform:
IMG_2907.JPG

Finally, the pan filled with water. The picture shows the pan with 90 ounces (almost 3 quarts) of water, which is a comfortable level to work with:
IMG_2908.JPG

Hope this is clearer than my description!

Okay, so found this video which is very much in line with what i was thinking and planning for my cook.

LAS, at 225 overnight, water pan (large foiled tray, and filled with apple juice, not water as in this vid. monitored via my Signals with a low of 200 and high of 250 alarms.

i like the use of the CBs to hold and compress the charcoal along with the buried wood chunks so we smoke and not fire the brisket. i will be cutting up some CA white oak for this cook.

i'm leaning towards a light trimming and shaping of the brisket to ensure more meat protection, as the fat will help keep the meet moist during the cook. i'll be using @DanHoo's method of aluminum isolators under the water pan for even more insulation of the tray to avoid rapid evap of my liquid.

figure i'll be at LAS, 225 for 8 hours which'll get me to 7AM from an 11P start time. after the wrap, i'll increase heat to 275 and cook till done, 199-205, all depending how this packer goes. also knowing the beef will carryover some temp once removed, i might stay at a lower done temp of 199-202 and avoid any mushy parts on the brisket.

that should be enough to get me to a 4 hour rest. so 7A-11A should get me to done, which'll make this a 11-12 hour cook plus rest time.

any final thoughts before this goes down Sat night?

here's that video:

any final thoughts before this goes down Sat night?
If your internet goes down, will you still get alarms on your phone to wake you up ?

In addition to the Signals, do you have a lower-tech temp monitor for low pit temp or high pit temp?

When I do an overnight cook with my TW Smoke X4, I use my TW smoke as a second line of defense.

Back