Would this waterless method work

Hayes_Y

Would this waterless method work?

I'm a water user, still a very new WSM user, so no where near as much experience as many of you guys.... but for overnight cooks, I just can't be buggered waking up to fill the water pan....

I've read so many threads on what is best - water vs waterless, and I'm just not sure.

I was thinking would something like this work?

basically water pan empty - fill a little bit with sand - get a stand to lift up a foiled pizza plate (10" or so). so it has the ability to hold all the drippings, for easy cleaning, and the sand in the bowl will stay to act as a heatsink to keep the temps stable?

Last edited:
lot of people put sand in the pan. as for filling the water pan in the middle of the night, I've never needed to do that.

I would agree with Matt. With a full water pan, I hardly ever have to add water. On a really long cook I have but that would be into the next morning after maybe 9AM. How full do you fill your water pan?

I would agree with Matt. With a full water pan, I hardly ever have to add water. On a really long cook I have but that would be into the next morning after maybe 9AM. How full do you fill your water pan?

about 3/4.

I guess I have to fill it up all the way then? I'll try water again this weekend, planning a 12 hr cook, I'll put more water in.
thanks

What are you cooking that takes all night? I simply plan my cooks for day light hrs.

I have most of my big meals with friends over starting at lunch time, so I need 12 hours to do a lamb/pork... I put meat on around 10pm, sleep and wake up at 7/8 to an empty pan...
but I'll try putting more water in this weekend.

was just wondering whether that sand and pizza plate will be ok to keep temps down.

What temp are you cooking at? Are you using the minion method? If you describe your process in some detail, we might be able to spot something that could help.

What temp are you cooking at? Are you using the minion method? If you describe your process in some detail, we might be able to spot something that could help.

using minion, lump charcoal (mallee root), basically full load with half bucket lit charcoal on top, with a few pieces of smoking wood. Temps sit between 110-120 degrees Celsius.
top vent fully open, bottom 3 vents 1/6 open

You don't need to light nearly that much charcoal. I find it far easier to get it up to temp than get it down

Honestly, keep it simple. just foil the water pan and start to back down the vents earlier then you would for a water run. I just did a minion start with my 18"wsm and i still have all vents wide open and I'm at 260°after about 40mins. Got meat loaf on the upper grate and a pan of potatoes on the lower. Waterless runs are pretty easy, and ya don't need a fancy way of doing it. just my opinion. best of luck to ya.

Back