Work Table Restoration: Genesis 1100

Robert L in LA

TVWBB Member
Hello All,

I am in the final stages of "restoring" a Genesis 1100 and I am seeking guidance on the work table:

Can someone tell me the actual factory length of the wood? The previous person replaced the wood and it does not seem correct so if I know the length of each it would help me tremendously.

I believe the length and width of each piece is the same whether its the left side tables and the wood under the firebox, correct?

Regarding the folding section of the work table, how do i know where to screw down the metal strip that links the table to the side of the grill (not the Z bars)? I did not pay attention when I disassembled. I guess, how many inches from the front edge should the metal strip be screwed on?

I plan on using 1x2 cedar wood from Home Depot or Lowes.

Thank you very much!

Robert

Simplest thing to do. If you have the Z brackets, tape them into the frame where they would sit. Measure the distance between them. Subtract a small amount say 1/16" to 3/32" to allow for expansion in moist/wet weather. Cut them to that length. They're typically spaced about 1/4 to 3/8" apart your choice for whatever works out to an even number and is pleasing esthetically. I recommend you use brass or stainless steel screws BTW. If you can find true brass screws it's the best.

Hello All,

I am in the final stages of "restoring" a Genesis 1100 and I am seeking guidance on the work table:

Can someone tell me the actual factory length of the wood? The previous person replaced the wood and it does not seem correct so if I know the length of each it would help me tremendously.

I believe the length and width of each piece is the same whether its the left side tables and the wood under the firebox, correct?

Regarding the folding section of the work table, how do i know where to screw down the metal strip that links the table to the side of the grill (not the Z bars)? I did not pay attention when I disassembled. I guess, how many inches from the front edge should the metal strip be screwed on?

I plan on using 1x2 cedar wood from Home Depot or Lowes.

Thank you very much!

Robert

On the left side fixed table and the swing table they are 15 1/4 long this is true of the bottom also. But on the left side fixed and swing they are flush with the ends of the z bars on each side where on the bottom the indented the wood 1/8 from each side of each z bar. The width of the wood on each bottom z bar from left to right is about 11 7/16 so the spacing is different, I am doing one now so just took those measurements on mine which are the original.

I believe I used the base of an 11/32 drill bit to get the spacing on the left fixed table and swing slats. There is wider spacing on the bottom ones so will see what bit fits there to get where you need to be but got to run out in a minute. Can take a drop table bracket from the measurement when I get back, I did not like the pitch of the drop down table when it was up to much down for me so I adjusted the bracket so they are level or a bit more upright when the table is used.

I used the Lowes's cedar also had to go thru a bunch of boards because I was looking for no knots it took awhile.

Last edited:
I can confirm Brian's measurements. I measured the factory wood prior to replacing with 1x2's from home depot, which are a near perfect replacement.
My measurements of the original pieces were were 15 1/4 long, 1 9/16 wide, 11/16 thick.

Thank you all for all of your help and for measuring! i appreciate it!

Summary:
Lowes 1X2 cedar length wood is 15 1/4 inch
Left table and swing slats spacing can be achieved using 11/32 drill bit as a spacer

With respect to the swing table bracket placement location: Should I set everything up holding it at the correct level and use a pencil to try and get a feel of where the bracket should be before I drill?

If any of you have any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Thank you all!

Rober

Back