wood?

Theron Crowder

I am having trouble finding different smoke woods. Any suggestions? All I seem to find is hickory and mesquite. If no luck, I am going to try and make my own by cutting down the neighbors apple tree!

I just bought some alder & apple from Cabelas online. Prices aren't bad, shipping is cheap, & they have a variety of quality chuks. Check it out.

In the Clemson area there should be lots of pecan orchards. Check with an owner about picking up some downed limbs. Cut them into chunks and let them season for a few months.

You can't beat pecan, especially if its free.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

I picked up some free wood that was just set out after some trees were cut down.

I didn't know what type of wood I had, so I sent in a sample to the UW and discovered that I had maple and oak.

If you can pick up free wood, here is the link for the place that will ID it for you.
link here

Hi all,

Try to talk to the people in your park maintenance units---my neighbor works for the one in my town--they are only too glad to give it to you---saves them the work of chipping--my neighbor drops off a load of wood every few months-mostly oak,cherry and hickory.
if you reward them with some ribs or pulled pork they are sooooooo grateful---give it a try--they are very appreciative

bob

Some specialty butcher shops carry wood chunks. They'll do whatever they can to promote the sale of big hunks of meat. Call a few in your area and ask where you can get smoke wood.

Find a local orchard. They are always cutting down limbs and whole apple and peach trees, and will either give you wood or sell it to you at a low price. I just got a trunkload of apple wood for $10 from a nearby orchard.

Originally posted by Theron Crowder:
I am going to try and make my own by cutting down the neighbors apple tree!

Your neighbor would offer the apple tree up if he knew you'd give him some of the Q you make with it.

The orchard is a good place, my father-in-law got me some wood there - great. Bottom line, free wood is great. Try to get some. Otherwise, there is mail order.

All very valid suggestions above.

And if you lie in the city as I do and are looking are woods outside of what might become available from natural sources I've had excellent luck from People's Woods.

The good thing about living here in the south os that I can get chips, chunks or even hunks of wood for the smoker. The local grocery storea at big 40+ lb bags of hickory and mesquite for purchase.

Back