Wood table finish recommendations

PatL

I picked up a Genesis Gold C earlier this year for $90. Other than there being frame rust on the left side of the fire box, the only notable problems were a cracked flip-up table, and a rusted igniter shroud. I happen to have a pro doing a lot of welding at my place in the next month, and they’ll replace the rusty section, so I don’t need to dive down that rabbit hole. Yet. One new igniter and I was on my way.

Since the thermoset table was cracked, and I like to waste my time making sawdust and teaching my children new words, I decided to replace all of the tables with more classic, Genesis 1000-style tables (including one to replace the side-burner, because I’m not likely to use it). I’m a fair way through the project, and starting to think about finishes, and would like some recommendations from you fine folks.

I’ve mostly cut and sanded 2-inch slats of mahogany and white oak that I intend on alternating. My plan right now is to use some some sort of danish oil followed by spar urethane, but, again, I’m interested in opinions and tips, particularly to increase the contrast between the two species of wood.

I like your idea, I don't like those thermoset tables at all. I think they just look cheap. I also like your idea of alternating oak and mahogany. I would think a finish with some red in it would give you the best contrast. I used mahogany on one of my grills and was very happy with how it turned out.20220518_141722.jpg

I admit that thermoset has none of the class of wood - and can’t take the punishment that stainless steel can. But for a “regular” daily driver grill, I do like how easy it is to clean and not having to worry about rust or rot. I also like the way those tables swing up and down with a solid “thunk.”

98B46BC6-6ADB-4F09-ABE6-46F033B8A7B1.jpeg

Thanks, guys. Steve, I’ll give that a shot on some scraps: your sample looks really good.

Jon, if my thermoset looked as good as yours does, I’d definitely stick with it!

You can always use a wood dye as well (different than a stain). Then you can add a tint of whatever color you want to the finish. Transtint is one I have used on some woodworking I’ve done.

Yes I did, Steve. Those were in good working order. So I suppose I have some spare tables without the hardware if anyone is looking: only the left table was cracked.

That looks fantastic! I was lucky enough to be able to replace my cracked table with one off a free grill. If I hadn't been able to, this is a perfect substitute

Thanks for all the encouragement, folks. Is there a part of the forum to post parts available / needed? I’d be happy to send my old tables to someone for the price of shipping.

Buy sell trade section> Otherwise post in the grill type specific section(ie gas grills).

Back