Wood in San Francisco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been smoking with Weber wood chunks bought from a bbq store. They're o.k., but expensive. And the mesquite and hickory really don't have much aroma to them.

Anyone know a good source in the area?

Pat-

What was shipping like? I was going to order some wood the other day (from Hawgeyes) but was a bit put off by the amount of shipping I was going to pay (no offense to Hawgeyes, who were charging me what the shipper's rate was, with no markup for handling).

I figured I might be better off just searching for wood locally (you know, from all those apple orchards we have in NYC).

Stone,

Try Barbeques Galore. The closest one to you is at 620 W. Francisco Blvd right along Hwy 101. They have small quantities of apple, cherry, alder, oak, hickory, and mesquite chunks that work well in the WSM. A couple of $7 bags last me all season.

You can get larger quantities of smokewood at Lazarri's down by the Cow Palace, but not the variety of Barbeques Galore.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
[qb] Stone,

Try Barbeques Galore. The closest one to you is at 620 W. Francisco Blvd right along Hwy 101. They have small quantities of apple, cherry, alder, oak, hickory, and mesquite chunks that work well in the WSM. A couple of $7 bags last me all season.

You can get larger quantities of smokewood at Lazarri's down by the Cow Palace, but not the variety of Barbeques Galore.

Regards,
Chris [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Stone,

What Chris said is what I was going to say. Lazarri has hardwood lump charcoal and logs, but I don't think they do WSM sized chunks.

If you have a compound mitre saw, you can easily reduce logs to chunks.

My wife and I licke up some wood when we went out fruit picking in the East Bay. We got some cherry and apple. We also cut back a plumb tree in our back yard. We just reduced those logs to chunks for use in the WSM. A much cheaper way to go and you get lots of wood.

Where are you in SF? I'm down in the Southern end of town, almost in Daly City. Holler if you want to get together and have beer somewhere and talk Q.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stone:
[qb] What's with the turd in the fire? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Good heavens! I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed that out! too funny!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
[qb] Stone,

A couple of $7 bags last me all season.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I must be using too much wood. I go through almost a whole bag of Weber Chunks for each smoke.

A whole bag sounds like a lot. but I've never bought weber chunks, so I don't know how big the chunks are or how big the bag is.

Look at all the recipes in the Let's Cook section on the main Virtual Weber Bullet site. Most of them call for 3-5 fist sized chunks per cook. That should be enough. I like a more heavily smoked flavor for home cooking so I use more, especially for overnight cooks.

The chunks at BBQ's Galore (in Marin or in Palo Alto) should do you just fine.

HJP, et al:

For what it's worth, Lazzari does offer wood chunks, just not in many varieties. I was there yesterday, and as I recall (and I just confirmed at their website), only in Mesquite and Hickory (I got Hickory.) Their complete product list is at:

http://www.lazzari.com/products.html

Drop by their place in Brisbane and they'll load up whatever you need.

Rich G.

that's excellent news!
Trick is getting there. They aren't open on weekends. Only Monday-Friday. And only from 9-4(I think.)

good to know they have hickory. I've actually been buying my hickory chunks at Home Depot of all places!

I'd like to find some hickory logs in the SF Bay area, but sounds like I'm out of luck even Lazzarri. I've bought a box of their almond and cut it up-- it's good, milder than oak.

I bought 1/8 cord of oak for about $40 and cut it up last year-- it'll probably last me about two more years, I think. I even throw a chunk on the Weber gas grill when I cook now, gives everything a nice flavor.

If anyone can snag some hickory logs in the Bay Area, I've got a portable saw-- I'm willing to cut in exchange for some of the wood.

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clark Stone:
[qb] I'd like to find some hickory logs in the SF Bay area, but sounds like I'm out of luck even Lazzarri. I've bought a box of their almond and cut it up-- it's good, milder than oak.

I bought 1/8 cord of oak for about $40 and cut it up last year-- it'll probably last me about two more years, I think. I even throw a chunk on the Weber gas grill when I cook now, gives everything a nice flavor.

If anyone can snag some hickory logs in the Bay Area, I've got a portable saw-- I'm willing to cut in exchange for some of the wood.

Clark [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll vouch for Clark in this case. He drove up to SF last year and we cut wood chunks on my driveway for a couple of hours. Super nice guy. If I come up with some Hickory logs I'll let you know.

HJP:

If'n you want to drive down to RWC on a Sat or Sun, you can have one of the bags o' hickory that I picked up. I think I have 7, so I have some to spare. Let me know (you have my email addy.)

Rich G.

PS: Might even cook somethin' for ya....

Thanks for the kind words, Henry. Henry was nice enough to give me some plum, cherry, and apple in return for helping to cut it up. The plum has been a real treat-- its great on Mr. Brown.

Clark

I don't know the Bay area, but WalMart here in SoCal carries bags of hickory chunks for pretty good prices. I think it was like $4 for a 10 pound bag last year. I bought two bags and still have enough to last me the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back