Wood for smoking turkey?

Jason Smith

TVWBB Fan
Anybody have some suggestions on what type of wood to use for smoking a turkey? I was thinking about doing apple with a little hickory.

I use a combination of apple and hickory, 3 chunks of apple 2-3" thick and 2 chunks of hickory. The bird comes out beautiful and delicious. Make sure to use the high temp method ie. no water in the pan and the bottom vents wide open. My WSM usually runs at 350-375 with this combo.

Mitch

So Mitch, you cook yours at a pretty high temp? How long does this usually take you? Anybody do it low and slow? How long? I was thinking if did it at a low temp it would take about 7 hours. Ya, pecan wood would be good but don't have any and don't know anywhere in Denver that carries the stuff.

I always brine the turkey for 24-hrs and cook it at about 325 F, with no water in the foiled water pan. I use just hickory. An unstuffed, brined, 14 to 16-lb turkey, takes about 3 to 4-hours until done (165 F internal breast temperature).

I would use cherry, apple, or pecan...The cherry/apple mix would be pretty good...Cherry is my all-time favorite on poultry...Good luck!!

Ron

Some people suggest pecan but its nearly impossible to tell difference between pecan and hickory

Pecan is really good and mild but since I have plenty of cherry, I use it more. It really does well with poultry. Hickory is stronger and I can tell the difference easily. No offense Mike but hickory is stronger than most woods. I do like hickory myself but I tend to like stronger flavors more than most people I know.

I just smoked one last weekend with 2 chunks apple and 1 chunk cherry. Man was it good. That said, if you don't have apple or cherry, I think hickory or pecan would be okay if you go light on the chunk amount.

Well I cooked up the turkey this weekend and came out great. Brined the turkey, for the first time ever, and cooked it up for about 4 1/2 hours and came out great. By far the juiceiest turkey ever. Use a combination of apple and hickory chunks.

Jason,

There is a place in Denver on Evans, between Havana and Quebec that sells wood. Mostly they sell firewood, but they have apple, cherry, Hickory, Mesquite and others. Reasonably priced too. It is logs and you can pick and choose, but you have to chunk it up.

George

Back