Wood for pulled pork

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone used apple or cherry wood when making pulled pork? I have a few nice logs of each, and was wondering which (if any) would be better.

I just love apple and pork. Havent used cherry that mutch. Almost smoke all pork with apple!

Both will work well. They're milder than say hickory or mesquite so adjust the amount you use to your preference.

BOTH!
I use apple all the time.
Cherry is great too!
Butt i've also used both in the same cook, it's a terrific blend.
Try it!

I have used apple quite a few times and have enjoyed it. I often mix it with pecan, but have used it exclusively also.

Rick

I like both but usually mix apple and red oak/hickory for pulled pork. Last loin I did I made an apple stuffing and smoked with cherry. It came out great.

Decisions, decisions! I'm trying out my CyberQ tonight on my pulled pork. Maybe I will try a blend.

Also going to try a Bavarian Fatty (hope its good). I'll post pictures.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">going to try a Bavarian Fatty (hope its good). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>with a name like Bavarian Fatty, how can it NOT be good??!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">going to try a Bavarian Fatty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I dated one in college
icon_biggrin.gif

Like most guys who have posted - I love apple with pork. With butts i use a mix of apple and hickory. probably 2/3 aplle to 1/3 hickory. With ribs I usually go a little heavier on the apple but still put a piece of hickory in there to.

I have used cherry before. It is good too but I just prefer apple.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BOTH!
Cherry is great too!
Try it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I like to combine them both also. They also go good with fish and chicken.
I'm an experimenter - I not only play with my recipes but also the wood combo's that I use.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BOTH!
Cherry is great too!
Try it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I like them both in combo also. They're also good for fish and chicken.
I'm an experimenter - I not only play with my recipes but also my wood combos.

Apple and hickory together are a match made in heaven! Apple wood is great with pork by itself..

I've been doing my pork with a mix of apple and cherry, pretty good results so far. Want to try pecan next.

I have no pecan, but I'm waiting on some Black Walnut. I've read mixed reviews on BW, so I'll have to try it for myself and see how it is.

Back