Wood chunks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Ir

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone,

I have another newby question. I have been reading this website religously for 2 weeks now, and am still waiting on my WSM to be delivered tomorrow!!! Can't wait. My question is I've read some postings where wood chunks are soaked in water sometimes for an hour sometimes overnight; I have also read, some people do not soak the wood chunks at all. Can some one tell me why you would or would not soak the wood chunks, is it that different meats require this?? Thanks for your thoughts, Big Ir

Don't soak you chunks in water before you put them in the WSM. Your meat will get much darker maybe almost black. Just throw a couple of handfulls of mesquite or something on top of your Kingsford and let it go. Pop a Mr. Frosty and sit
back and watch your temps.

BigIr...

I used to soak my wood but found out there is no need to soak. The theory is that the wet wood will smolder better...not true and not needed.

The temps we keep inside the cooking chamber are cool enough to get the wood smoldering but not burning.

If you are using wood CHIPS, then you should soak, but the chunks should be big enough that they will not burn.

Stogie

O.K. I guess no soaking is required, which leads me to another question. How do you gauge how much or many wood chunks to put in for a particular cook??? The reason I'm asking is a used a off-set smoker once and the pork but was entirely too smokey and I am sure I used way to many soaked hickory chips. Everyone seemed to like it although I thought it very overwhelming.

Start with 2-3 fist sized chunks and then keep a log with the type and amount of the wood you used.

There tend to be subtle differences in the types of woods, except for mesquite which is very strong. But, I suggest just find the stuff that is free and don't worry about it.

Also, different meats will take to smoke quite differently. That is why a log is so important.

How much wood will vary with the type. I find Hickory pretty strong, and Pecan very forgiving. Easy to over do it with Hickory but never had the same problem with Pecan. Don't use any green wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back