Wood chunks vs Chips

Mikey Stazz

I have always used wood chunks for all of my cooks, my brother recently got a good deal on abt 20 bags of wood chips of varying woods. Any suggestions on the best way to use the chips? Just not sure how many to use and how frequently they need to be added to the WSM.

A few years back I got the same for Christmas, about 20 bags of varying chips. I'm still using them up and replacing them with chunks as I run out of each wood. I prefer the chunks too.

When using the chips I take a handful (about the same amount as would be in a chunk) and wrap it up tightly in foil (I use to make nice, neat packets but don't bother anymore). Poke 1 hole in the foil and use it like a chunk. Make as many as you would normally use chunks.

On the kettle a lot of times I just throw some chips on the coals instead of using the foil.

Chunks are definitely more economical. I generally use chunks in the WSMs and chips in the One Touches. I'll sometimes use smaller size chunks on the One Touches. I have used chips in the WSMs for a lighter or shorter smoke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Corall:
Chunks are definitely more economical. I generally use chunks in the WSMs and chips in the One Touches. I'll sometimes use smaller size chunks on the One Touches. I have used chips in the WSMs for a lighter or shorter smoke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. I also use the chips when cold smoking in the WSM.

Thanks for all the info guys. Has anyone used chips for ribs, if so do you add more chips as the cook progresses? When doing ribs I usually just use chunks and only had them once at the beginning of the cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
chunks for me though i will use chips if i'm doing a quick cook. nothing like a little smoke on the steak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or a burger. I used up a bag of pecan chips that way.

Chunks for long smokes in the WSM, chips on the grill. I like the foil pack idea to be used as a chunk.

Bought some cherry wood chunks from HD this week, and some were so large that I had to split them. There were a couple that were softball size in that bag.
icon_eek.gif

I also prefer chunks, but if I have chips, I just mix a handful or better among the coals. As long as they are pretty well dispersed, you’ll get plenty of smoke for plenty of time.

I also prefer wood chunks over chips. If I have the chips on hand though I like to soak them in water for a bit so they do not burn to fast or hot. You can, like those said above make a foil packet out of double wrapped foil and poke holes in the top. I also wet them just a bit when I do this. However I also have just thrown on dry wood chips when it is colder outside to bring up temps in my WSM...

Yep to what CullenJ said. Just layer em in like a lasagna with your coals. I used the pouches (which I don't care for) and a SS smoker box ( which can cause an uneven burn on the WSM) IMO.

Tim

Back