Wood chunks - to soak or not to soak?

Tanner H.

TVWBB Member
I have read a bunch of stuff on here the past few weeks and have received all kinds of help from you folks that I greatly appreciate. Thanks for that!!! It seems that some say soak the wood chunks and others don't. I am going to cook two pork butts starting tonight. Should I soak the chunks or not.
Thanks again!!!!!

It is almost like Ginger and MaryAnn when ya talk about soaking chunks.

I say soak your chips so they don't burn away in less than a minute but I say do not soak your chunks. You want them to burst into flames to burn clean and not smolder. I set my chunks out on the patio in the sun before I add them to my kettle and my mini split logs I warm up in the smoking chamber before I add them to the fire-box.

Just my 2 cents........ Oh, Maryann
icon_biggrin.gif

IMO using chunks with the right moisture content helps a lot for smoke flavour. You prolly referring to a few posts where they thought after a few cooks the smoke flavour was lame. One way is to try to re-hydrate older wood by soaking it, does it work?, I dunno never tried it, but after this cook with dried chunks see what you think about the flavour. And if that doesn't work for you try soaking them and see if you notice a difference.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Originally posted by Richard Diaz:
I soak chips, I do not smoke chunks. There is very little water penetration unless they sit in water for days or weeks.

Same here. Actually the only time I use the chips is for grilling not BBQ.

I don't soak chips or chunks anymore. All it seems to do is cool down the fire. One of the advantages of having a charcoal grill or smoker is that you don't have to mess with pellets, foil pouches, or any of that. Just throw the wood on the coals and let 'er burn!

The water soaks in barely at all, and steams off in nothing flat. So it accomplishes more or less nothing, but expends energy from the fire.

Going back to my days as a fireman on the flight deck of the U.S.S America...

It takes three things to start a fire: Fuel, Heat and OXYGEN ...To wit, if a person limits oxygen through effective vent control, your (dry) chips/chunks will smolder longer than someone who is using (wet/soaked) chips/chunks and ignoring proper vent control...Nay to soaking.

No to soaking. In fact, I usually put any chunks to be added to the fire on top of the smoker to pre-heat and help dry out a little bit more. My theory is that adding completely cold, wet wood to an existing fire is a recipe for dirty smoke.

Do agree with StevieP, careful air control will keep the smoke wood just smoldering, not openly burning.

Russ

I have tried both ways and decided that soaking was a waste of time for me. I have not soaked the chunks (not chips) for years. Regards.

Maybe we should come up with a saying to remember what to do. You've heard of, "righty tighty-lefty loosy" or "whiskey on beer never fear." How about, "soak chips not chunks"?

Back