Wood Chunks for Smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael: I always use apple for my pork.

So if you know anyone cutting down a fruit tree ask if you can have some.

Fav is Hickory which I buy from CL.

But I'll use Oak and Pecan whenever available. Someone's always trimming Oak and the in-laws have Pecan trees so limbs are plentiful.

Apple with birds and the other white meat, cherry if I want a red color, mix of hichory & apple with beef. Been buying at BBQ Galore but recently found an apple orchard owner who is cutting some dead wood for me. Yippeeeee!

Mesquite get it from my ranch, also have a lot of white oak but have never smoked with white oak, any info would be appreciated

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Only tried hickory for fowl and mesquite for beef.next up is orange, time to be adventurous.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Noe:
Mesquite get it from my ranch, also have a lot of white oak but have never smoked with white oak, any info would be appreciated </div></BLOCKQUOTE>IMO, oak adds smokiness that's not quite identifiable like hickory or mesquite.

I have used Hickory by itself on 3 racks or baby backs, and on the next smoke, I used white oak and hickory. (60/40 oak to hickory) IMHO, it gave it a more subtle smoke flavor. I will not hasitate to ise it again!
I happened to come across some people that had a large pecan branch fall from one of their trees. After a short introduction/explanation, I was able to load the entire branch up and haul it home!(they had already cut it into 4' sections!!) I can't wait to try it out!!
Tim

Hickory for chicken, Apple for ribs, Cherry for Pork butts, and Oak/Cherry for Briskies.

Cheapest I've found is DoItBest.com. Free shipping cause they ship it to the store nearest you along with the store's regular shipment. Have used it several times and the guy at the store loves me.

Russ

we use oak for everything.
just clearing the roads @ hunt camp gives us an inexhaustable supply of oak chunks & mini logs ( for the big cooker)
have a lot of pear now since the blank beaver cut down our 8 in diameter tree!

I use hickory for most everything. I've got some apple that I use for the holiday turkeys that I got from E-bay and some mesquite that I like for beef that I got from wally world. While I have some hickory that I got from WM,I have a bunch that a friend got for me! Free wood rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back