Wood chunks and smoke

B Harper

TVWBB Member
I'm 7 hours in on a 6lb butt and had a few questions. Is it normal to not get too much smoke this far in? Started with a full ring and 3 chunks on the bottom an 3 on top. I've been trying to keep it between 250 and 275. It's pretty windy today. Just added some more unlit charcoal and stirred what was in there. Got a little smoke from one of the chunks on the bottom. I've read that the meat absorbs most of the smoke early in the cook is that true?

Hello,

It's perfectly normal for me not to visibly see smoke that far into the smoke; however, sometimes if you look extra hard at the top vent, you will see a little coming out. The smoke release on the WSM can vary so much depending on how much one of your chunks is burning.

To your other question, I've read that butts absorb the majority of the smoke flavor within the 1st 6 hours of the cook. I cannot say for sure that this is true. I can only say that I usually do my butt cooks in the WSM with 5-6 wood chunks buried in various places, then Minion start on the top. The butt will finish with the initial charcoal load- I never need to add more. The smoke flavor always comes out great, and I've never felt that it need more smoke.

For your 1st cook, I would not worry about any of things you stated. I'm sure the meat will come out great.

ROLL TIDE
That out of the way , I usually want smoke for about 6 hours, in my opinion a less than perfect amount of smoke is very good, too much smoke is bad. ( why I gave my Lectric smoker to my nephew)
Try this cook if your family wants more smoke add more.
A hint , if you're out fiddling with cook etc you become desensitized to smoke flavor, let someone not cooking sample

Thanks guys.

John - So far on everything I've smoked I've asked my wife to let me know what she like in terms of too smokey, not smoky enough, rub too warm, peppery, etc. Anyway hope the weather isn't too bad over your way.

I think it is almost done. The side away from the bone is around 193 and doesn't resist the thermometer at all. The side near the bone is about 187 and gives a little resistance. Just enjoying a Dogfish Head 90 Minute while staring at the smoker. Can't beat that on a Friday afternoon.

Oh man he was there for the good times then. I wish they won 2 National Championshiships when I was there. I graduated in 2003. 30 years from now I'm sure your son will be able to tell stories about how awesome watching football from the student section was during that stretch like my inlaws who were there in the 70's.

Easy, long burning smoke tends to be blue and thin. You may not see it coming from your top vent, especially on a windy day/night.
Also, smoke adheres to meat for as long as it is present. This is why sometimes a butt or brisket looks like a meteor. The confusion tends to come from the smoke ring, which is purely a chemical reaction and not an indicator of smokiness. I find it tough to oversmoke roasts, less so for ribs and very easy for chicken. For as long as you supply smoke, your food will gain smoke flavour.

6 chunks is probably good for a butt, you won't always see smoke that far into the cook.

A little less smoke is better than too much.

I recommend sticking with fruit woods as well it's harder to over smoke with apple where as if you put in 6 chunks of hickory/mesquite you can get a bitter flavor.

Try all apple or maybe 4 apple and 2 Oak or 5 apple chunks and 1 hickory.

Enjoy your BBQ.

Back