Wood Choice for Ribs

Sam S.

TVWBB Member
I looked through the forums but haven't found an answer to satisfy my question.

The last 6 racks of ribs I did I have been using cherry and everyone has loved them. I am out of cherry now and since it seems like everyone likes a sweet/fruity taste what would you guys recommend.
I have apple and peach.
I also have Oak and Pecan, which I have used with limited success on ribs.

Or do you know a good place in St. Paul/suburbs where to get chunks of cherry wood.

Thanks,
Sam

I do not have an answer, but a follow up question. Did the cherry you have used come from a "wild" cherry tree or a fruit producing cherry tree?

I am not sure I got it at a local store that went out of business. I think it was originally from woodbrothers. I have ordered more from www.blueshog.com but it will not arrive until sometime next week.

Sam... Either apple or peach would work out. I like apple better on pork that any other fuit wood, so maybe you and your guests would, too.

On ribs I will usually use oak & apple or cherry, which ever I have on hand. I will sometimes put a chunk or two of hickory in also.

Last fall I borrowed my friends smoker and proceeded to cook 18 slabs of ribs. I figured it would be a good time to experiment with different smoke wood. I used all fruit wood in one wsm and 2 chunks of oak and fruit wood in the other. The fruitwood I used was cherry, apple, and grape. The ribs using all fruit wood was very good. I personally thought the slabs using the oak were better. All who partook in the event said the same.

My hickory days are behind me. I over done them once and can't hardly stand to use it anymore. I do throw one chunk on occasionally but can hardly taste it. When I throw on the second I can't hardly eat them. I haven't used pecan on ribs yet but I finally got hold of some and it awesome on butt. I can't imagine it wouldn't be good on ribs. Especially with some fruit wood added in.

Originally posted by V_Rocco:
Am I the only one that uses hickory on ribs?

Nope. I grew up on the hickory taste. Can't get enough of it!

Oh, I also like oak, apple, cherry, maple and sometimes a little mesquite. Hope I live long enough to sample some of the other woods out there.
icon_wink.gif

JimT

Sam:

If you are looking for wood chunks in the twin Cities, you can get it at either Gerten's in Inver Grove, or Lyndale Garden Center in South Mpls/Richfield. I've bought at both places. i haven't paid attention to prices to know which was better, however.

Bill

Nah, we midwesterners are all about the hickory. Every time you hear the word bbq you hear hickory smoked.. now does that mean its right? No, but heck I still love hickory just the same.

To follow up on an earlier post, I was at Lyndale Garden Center this afternoon (Sunday the 21st), and picked up a bag of cherry chunks. They had a nice selection: alder, apple, hickory, mesquite, cherry, pecan, maybe one other. $10.99 for a 10-lb (I think) bag.

Hey Brent,

I shop at the Lyndale also, I looked at the back of the woodbrothers bag of chunks and found the address for Nothern Charcoal and Chemical. It's located in mpls.

I'm going to call them tormrrow and see if they sell chunks.

For ribs i have used Cherry, Apple, Apricot, and Peach. I prefer Cherry for ribs and poultry. I just love the color it imparts on the meat.
icon_cool.gif

Now for butts and brisket it's Pecan all the way buddy boy.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Bryan, I have about 10 pounds of Apricot in the garage, which I used on some chicken quarters last weekend with so,so, results. Do you commonly use it on ribs? Would it be in your top three wood or wood combs? I'm seriously thinking about chucking it.

S Whipple

Back